R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Drain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Grinkle192 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Drain
    Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:45pm
StephenH -

"when comparing the typical 12V battery with a pair of GC-2 batteries, the GC-2 batteries will be much heavier than a single 12V battery"

This makes sense to me.

I also see that the stock battery on my new 192 is a Marine battery, and I agree with your assessment that it is not true deep cycle.

If I replace it with a 100Ah Lithium (not sure I would, but if I did upgrade, that is likely what I would consider) would the A/C charger be able to charge it, do you know?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Grinkle192

Originally posted by StephenH

Things to consider:

Two 12V batteries will weigh much less than two 6V batteries.

Comparing two batteries of the same physical size, in general, a 6V battery has fewer cells in it than a 12V battery, so it has fewer lead plates, so it weighs less.  I think you would agree with the fewer cells thing, so I am wondering if I mis-understand your comment or if maybe you have a typo in your comment.

I don't think 6V and 12V batteries will typically be the same size, though.  In systems I have read about, the 6V batteries are a smaller form factor than the 12V batteries being compared against, and the folks decide what to use based on what they have space for.

To the OP, if you replace 2 6V batteries with 2 12V batteries, I'd be surprised if the weight does not increase and the space needed increases.  Along with that, I'd expect your capacity to increase.

This depends on the specific batteries involved, and I'm sure its possible you have 6V batteries right now that are so large that you can find 12V batteries that are lighter and smaller, but I don't think that is typical.

There is a difference. Most RPods come with one group 24 size 12V battery. They are so-called marine batteries which are neither full-on starting batteries nor true deep cycle batteries. A GC-2 6V battery is significantly bigger and heavier than the typical battery. I won't argue the point that there are a few 12V batteries that are an exception, but when comparing the typical 12V battery with a pair of GC-2 batteries, the GC-2 batteries will be much heavier than a single 12V battery which is the usual set-up.

An exception is the Trojan 12V battery at 85 pounds. Still the GC-2 batteries are about 60 pounds each so two of them will weigh in at about 120 pounds. That is a lot of lead.

As for if they both were the same size, a 6V battery would have less dividers and likely have a bit more lead, but reality is that they are different sizes. Try to find a 20 hour rating on your 12V battery. You usually see cold cranking amperes, but not the 20 hour rate for 12V batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:38pm
We've been using these batteries since we got ourPod and use them with our Sonoma.  They work great, are work horses, and are reasonably priced.  As long as you keep the water level correctly, they will last many years.  The specs for the battery are stated in the link.  https://www.costco.com/interstate-6-volt-golf-cart-battery.product.100476406.html
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:32pm
No worries Grinkle.  The thought after first reading your post was that exactly, thinking that the T-1275 was a 6v battery.  Regardless, maintenance is key to any battery longevity.  My only experience is with lead acid batteries.  Keep clean (posts and outside shell), keep an eye on electrolyte levels and only use distilled water when adding and finally do not take below 12.2 v  before recharging.  Looking forward to having my 12v Interstate celebrate its 12th birthday in April 2023.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:03pm
I am corrected, Jato - thanks!  I assumed without checking that you were talking about a 6V battery.

Now the comparison makes much more sense to me!  I wasn't comparing 6V to 12V at all.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 5:50pm
Have to disagree with your post Grinkle as the T-1275 IS a 12v battery, not 6v.  Just was on their website to verify what was originally stated:     https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-1275/  and Trojan shows their T-1275 battery weights in at 39kg or 85 lbs.  Also the 20 hr. capacity of a single battery is 150 aH, the 100 hr. capacity rating is 166 aH.
God's pod
'11 model 177

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by jato

This is why we now have a Trojan T-1275 (golf cart battery) better capacity 150 aH and more weight at 85 lbs.

You need 2 of these batteries to get 12V and 150Ah @ 12V, , so I expect the total weight is 170 lbs.  A single 150Ah 12V battery weighs 91 lbs.

https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/shop/12v-sla-batteries/12v-150ah-sla-battery/

The sizes of these batteries are (out of curiosity I looked them up) -

12V - ~1200 cubic inches
6V - ~1000 cubic inches

So if you compare 2 batteries vs 2 batteries, the 12V batteries will weigh a bit more (I am surprised at how little more) and have a almost twice the capacity.  Makes me think I am not understanding something here, I'd expect the 6V batteries to have more capacity than that for the size they are.

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 4:08pm

There is a reason that two 6V batteries have more capacity -- weight. More lead means heavier, but more capacity. Consider the weight though when planning your loading. Those 6V batteries are heavy!

This is why we now have a Trojan T-1275 (golf cart battery) better capacity 150 aH and more weight at 85 lbs. This is in addition to the 12v Interstate group size 24 deep cycle battery (11.5 yr. old) kept on the a-frame.  I used to keep a few truck rotors in the front so the tongue weight would be 11% of total weight of the 177.  Now, with the extra battery weight, tongue weight is 340 lbs. and that is with a full FW tank which on the 177 is located behind the axle.  Normally camp w/o amenities so battery life and water capacity are very important.  Added bonus - was able to remove the truck rotors, freeing up valuable storage space.
God's pod
'11 model 177

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 4:06pm

Things to consider:

Two 12V batteries will weigh much less than two 6V batteries.

Comparing two batteries of the same physical size, in general, a 6V battery has fewer cells in it than a 12V battery, so it has fewer lead plates, so it weighs less.  I think you would agree with the fewer cells thing, so I am wondering if I mis-understand your comment or if maybe you have a typo in your comment.

I don't think 6V and 12V batteries will typically be the same size, though.  In systems I have read about, the 6V batteries are a smaller form factor than the 12V batteries being compared against, and the folks decide what to use based on what they have space for.

To the OP, if you replace 2 6V batteries with 2 12V batteries, I'd be surprised if the weight does not increase and the space needed increases.  Along with that, I'd expect your capacity to increase.

This depends on the specific batteries involved, and I'm sure its possible you have 6V batteries right now that are so large that you can find 12V batteries that are lighter and smaller, but I don't think that is typical.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 1:58pm
Things to consider:

Two 12V batteries will weigh much less than two 6V batteries. The trade-off is in capacity. The only way to beat two 6V batteries is by converting to LiFePO4, which entails a lot of other changes (see my mods for information about that).

Batteries that can be checked and distilled water added if needed are better than sealed batteries that really just mean that you can't do maintenance on them. This applies if you are going to stick with lead-acid batteries.

There is a reason that two 6V batteries have more capacity -- weight. More lead means heavier, but more capacity. Consider the weight though when planning your loading. Those 6V batteries are heavy!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>