R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

First Time Towing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Towing!
    Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:44am
Good point. A lift kit, and maybe switching to 15" wheels/tires (LRD) would both help.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 11:19am
The lift kit more than the 15" wheels. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:38pm
Wow! All I can say is I'm grateful and amazed at the responses I've gotten on here. Honestly great solutions and I'm kind of relieved my situation is a little more in need of just using a bunch of wood ramps to try and get it up there. 

+1 on the level kit honestly. We took another crack this weekend trying to take the driveway at an angle etc and no luck. If it wasn't the jacks, it was the spare tire, the bumper, the water drains.. it just wasn't going to happen. I couldn't believe how little clearance this trailer really does have. 

Anyways a little update.. My uncle who tows a bunch of trailers daily came over and took a look. He had a hitch with a little more drop, but it appears it needed even more.. perhaps with some cargo in the bed and trailer it will level out the trailer a little more. Admittedly also that driveway is my parents, with my house next door. We eventually just took a path across my lawn onto my driveway for the time being as I don't have as severe as a dip. So finally we are off the street. 

I went to the local trailer place around here and although it's pricey I'm going to go for the E2 hitch anyways, not only will it make the ride a bit better but I think it will be a requirement for my wifes jeep should we ever want to take the trailer with that. So it'll get some good use. 

All in all I think it's just been a while towing a trailer and I wasn't used to the feeling behind the truck. I think it's just the nature of towing 3000 LBS and will eventually get used to it. I think I was silly to assume I'd feel absolutely nothing back there.

Thank you all again and will continue to participate in some threads on here!! 
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:50pm
DDo8, if you get a WDH and plan to use it on different vehicles, you'll probably need to adjust it to fit and balance.  I can't speak for brands other than the Fastway e2, but they have a setup guide in their manual that should be helpful.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 5:24pm
+1 on different set-up needed for different vehicles. Unless both the Jeep and the truck have exactly the same hitch heights, you will need to do some adjusting. Get a torque wrench to assist in making sure the bolts are properly tightened.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:37am
Originally posted by StephenH

The lift kit more than the 15" wheels. 
For sure. The lift kit can get you an additional 2 or 3 inches, depending. The larger wheel only a 1/2 inch. Every little bit helps.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 2:51pm
To re-iterate on my earlier post about adding the 3.5" lift kit from FR:  It was an easy job, took me 1 hour to do the whole job using simple hand tools and torque wrench (6 years ago).  Since then we have taken some very steep back roads and inclines with no dragging of the rear stabilizers, it also helps that we have the nose of 177 1" low in the front than the rear - which also assists in keeping the tongue weight at 11% or better to reduce/eliminate sway.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12