R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill your Freezer freeze ice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will your Freezer freeze ice?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:42am
Ok, we are still set up in the driveway.. partial shade, and you know the local temps.. running on 30amp AC, and A/C is on, set to about 75 degrees. Fridge is set on max. about a dozen bottles of water in it. Filled little ice maker tray last night. It is the only thing in the freezer compartment, set near the center. Solid ice when I just checked it.

We do intend to use a portable ice maker when ever we have AC available. I go through a lot of ice.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:10pm
I have found the only way to get an RV frig to really get cold throughout is have a battery powered fan running on the bottom shelf.  I also pre-cool the frig before I go on a trip.  I put a plastic container filled with ice-cubes in the freezer compartment before we leave.  We usually then have an adequate supply of cubes to put in drinks but also to help pre-cool the frig.
TIDALWAVE
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:27pm
I agree with TIDALWAVE. Pre-cool a couple days, place prefrozen cubes in your freezer, and circulate the cold air with an interior battery powered fan. Good advice. Several years ago, I had a trailer with a Dometic fridge that I installed a non-thermostat controlled fan under the outside fridge vent. That helped some, too. Dometic fridges in RPods have a thermostatically controlled fan under the outside fridge cover, but they don't cycle to on until the outside temperature gets pretty hot. They're more of a temp holding device rather than really helping to cool.

RV fridges are notorious for their cooling inefficiency. The three Dometics I've had were all pretty poor. The one Norcold I owned was a little better.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 2:19pm
I agree kickstart, I installed a fan in the rear comparment of our popup's fridge and still was never happy.  Ended up only using it for non-perishable drinks, and took a dorm fridge with us all the time (with a compressor unlike many dorm fridges sold today).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12