R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWet Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Batteries
    Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:29pm
So with 12v batteries in parallel, both negative posts go to the chassis?  (Rather than one negative connected to the other negative and then to the chassis?)

But wouldn't the positive terminals be connected to each other with one cable to the fuse box?  So why disconnect them both?

TT

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 11:09pm
So I know this may sound like a dumb question, but....why is it necessary to have distilled vs tap water? I guess the water keeps it cool. If not, why the water? Conductivity? I hate electricity unless it persuades answers...
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by wingnut2312

So I know this may sound like a dumb question, but....why is it necessary to have distilled vs tap water? I guess the water keeps it cool. If not, why the water? Conductivity? I hate electricity unless it persuades answers...

the extra minerals and things in your regular house water can build up on the plates.  plenty of folks use regular tap water with little noticeable harm if any at all.

i suppose depending on how hard the water is where you are could change that a lot.

that being said, i have distilled water in the garage to check mine and only use that.
rimshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:44am
I will be drilling the holes in both boxes. Easy fix. I'm also going to investigate the possibility of using a perko switch for the batteries. Might just work. In the mean time I'll just plug it in every weekend since it's in the driveway. Thanks for all the help....Bill
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

So with 12v batteries in parallel, both negative posts go to the chassis?  (Rather than one negative connected to the other negative and then to the chassis?)

But wouldn't the positive terminals be connected to each other with one cable to the fuse box?  So why disconnect them both?

TT

Generally the two negatives would be strapped together and only one battery connected to the chassis. Likewise the two positives would be strapped together and only one battery connected to the trailer power panel. The two trailer connections
should be to opposite batteries to perfectly balance the circuit impedance. The reason for disconnecting both positives or both negatives is to prevent discharging one battery through the other one. However, this is really a minor effect. Probably way less than the self discharge rate of each battery separately. Jump in Doug if I'm of base on this.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12