R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to Run TV on Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Run TV on Battery
    Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 8:24pm
Yes, just inside door on left. Big improvement over the 19". I had to make a template from the back of the insignia to use the existing mount and drill new holes but got it done. I tested the TV with Jensen DVD player and standard DVD 's and found the picture quality to be ho hum ok. Then tried a blu ray player with blu ray disks, no comparison. The Jensen is fine with standard DVD but blu ray is awesome. I was surprised how many tv stations I pulled in HD being 30 miles from San Diego. Now I will add a 12 volt outlet to run tv off the battery when no electrical is available. 

The tv fits but I had to add on to the length of the retaining straps just used a zip tie on the end of the hook on right. This is the 24" size and does go on sale. The 28" will be too wide fir the space. 
Dan
jacqqueandsusan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 11:17am
Great, thanks for the info.

I look forward to changing them out.

My 2014 177 already has the 12v cigarette lighter outlet just below the television, so the all I'll need to do is drill some holes in the mount.

GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by ReiMan1776

Yes, the Samsung's are 14V and that is why I went with the Insignia. 

You can get the TV audio to play on the Jensen sound system. You have to remove the Jensen DVD player and take the red and white RCA connectors on the back of the player [On mine was plugged into output - makes no sense] Simply put them into red and white jacks labeled input. Then select the input selector on the DVD player. 

You hook up output Audio RCA connectors on the TV to the red and white jacks on the wall. I have the 178, 2015. 

Could you please elaborate on how you got the TV sound to work through the Jenson speakers.

I have the stock Jenson TV and it appears the audio out jacks are disabled when scrolling through the menu?I switched  around RCA jacks as you suggested and makes perfect sense,but seems to be no output.Tried every conceivable  option for the hell of it and nothing.I think this was done purposely but not sure why.In essence the output audio jacks from the Jenson head unit could be disconnected from the TV when playing DVD and would make no difference. No sound comes out of the TV speakers anyway Confused

Even so,which mode on the Jenson head unit would work?It appears to me that only 2 choices exist,AUX1 and AUX2 which are for front AV jack and the other for bluetooth device.

Seems odd the stock Jenson TV would be configured like that,so if I got a different TV as noted above it would work correct?

DVD's play as they should through the Jenson speakers but not at all through the TV speakers and of course the TV only plays through the tiny TV speakers

Do tell your method's  Big smile....thanks
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 11:47am
To get the tv sound to operate through the built in speakers I had to take the Jensen unit out, just remove screws and pull out far enough so you have access to the back of the unit without pulling on wires. You will need to take the red and white RCA cables that are connected to the output jack and switch them to the input jack, both jacks are labeled. On my 2015 179 those cables run to the wall plate with a red and white female RCA audio jacks. In my case all I needed was a pair of female RCA to 3mm headphone cable adapter which I connected to my tv headphone jack.

On the Jensen TV (which I replaced) there is a red and white audio pair of female jacks on the side. A pair of audio cables with male ends connected to the wall plate makes the connection from audio out on the tv to audio in on the Jensen stereo. 

Select the auxillary button on the Jensen 
Dan
bonanddoug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 3:54pm
The TV in my 179 has RCA jacks for audio output.  I did have to set the TV audio output to 'fixed' via the menus on the TV.  To remove the stereo I had to get a #2 square driver to fit the screws that hold it in.  The only signal that needs to go to the TV is the video from the stereo/dvd.
2015 179 HRE
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 5:42pm
Thanks guys....yeah I tried all that  but,

My Jenson TV have the audio out disabled "grayed out" when scrolling down the menu.

So no matter what I tried there is no signal to the audio out RCA jacks on the back of the TV.
The front AV jack had the same results.

I ordered a new TV and now works perfectly so I can hear it whenever the AC cycles on Cry

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0EYIV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The noisy,but acceptable AC, was why I was trying to make the TV sound go through the Jenson external speakers to begin with.

I probably just got a weird TV from FR out of the 1000's they equip their products with.I have read here though that I'm not the only one who has received a TV with the output disabled.
bonanddoug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 9:48pm
Is there a menu selection to disable the TV speaker?
2015 179 HRE
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by bonanddoug

No,all the audio options are grayed out.
2McPods View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 2:04pm
I emailed Jensen about this and this is what they said to do- 

In order to change the audio out selection, the TV speakers have to be turned off in the system menu first. Once turned off you can adjust the audio output.  

This is what I did to get mine to work: 

On the back of the Jensen stereo switched Rca wires to in audio and then on the back of the tv make sure the red and white rca are in the out put audio. 
Turn off Tv speakers and then change the audio from variable to fixed.

Then use the AUX 1 on stereo Thumbs Up
Everything Happens 4 A Reason

Pat & Viki McCartney
2015 171 {2McPods}
2014 F150
Pittsburgh, Pa
2McPods View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by bonanddoug

yes under the audio section. Turn off TV speakers and then you can change the grayed out audio to fixed
Everything Happens 4 A Reason

Pat & Viki McCartney
2015 171 {2McPods}
2014 F150
Pittsburgh, Pa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>