R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlternative to solar power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative to solar power?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

So...bypass the Bargman and just jump directly from TV battery to TT battery? Is there any downside to that? Why would I want a generator if I can just charge that way. Isn't my TV just one big generator?

Because you Bargman is at best a 12g wire, and the circuit is wired and fused to only allow 10-15A through it. Your jumper cables are 0 gauge or so, and can move 100's of amps. Your alternator can send it's full capability to the pods battery. Charging 10x's faster is always better.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

So...bypass the Bargman and just jump directly from TV battery to TT battery? Is there any downside to that? Why would I want a generator if I can just charge that way. Isn't my TV just one big generator?

Using the TV to charge your pod battery is usually just an emergency measure because of the hassle and expense.  A 6 or 8 cylinder $20,000 to $60,000 generator isn't exactly efficient.  Some campgrounds don't allow it, and where they do, it's just about the least efficient way to go.  Plus, all you're going to get is 12v. With a generator you can run the air, the oven, and anything else, depending on the size of the generator, while charging your battery for quiet hours.

If you're happy with just 12v and really just want to keep the battery charged, using jumper cables will work.  I'm not sure where the gas bill and wear and tear on your vehicle gets to be greater than the cost of a quiet little generator but there is a big convenience factor to a generator too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:58pm
Okay. So I was trying to be humorous about collecting electricity from rain. But guess what? I googled it and it may be real someday. Maybe not enough to light your microwave, but maybe enough to put a little charge in your battery?

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2008/jan/29/plastic-converts-raindrops-to-electricity

Oh, and using your car to charge your RV battery ain't necessarily a bad idea. You'll burn about a half a gallon per hour and put virtually no wear on your engine since the load is miniscule. Noise and pollution are also limited from an idling engine. You won't be getting any nasty looks from your neighbors. Fortunately my batteries hold out for my whole trip so I don't worry about it, but I'd go jumper cables in a pinch.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 1:07am
I'd do it in a pinch too, if I was allowed to, and maybe if I wasn't but it is in the printed rules at some campgrounds that using vehicles to charge batteries is not allowed.  It is loud, or it certainly can be, and it can definitely draw nasty looks.  A lot depends on the situation.

TT 
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12