R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSchool me - 12v to 110 outlet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me - 12v to 110 outlet
    Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm
This is one mod I'm surprised isn't a factory standard. At least one. I added three.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
jburns View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 8:05pm
This is on my list for next season... The USD ports are almost a must have with phone and camera charges now.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 8:24pm
Just an update from the OP. I installed one of these right next to the outlet I wanted to convert. I get the added benefit of the voltmeter and 2 USB outlets along with the 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style). I just plug my pure sine inverter into the 12v outlet, which has two 110v outlets, and we're off to the races!
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by GLBCamper

Just an update from the OP. I installed one of these right next to the outlet I wanted to convert. I get the added benefit of the voltmeter and 2 USB outlets along with the 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style). I just plug my pure sine inverter into the 12v outlet, which has two 110v outlets, and we're off to the races!

Two quick questions please:
1) Do you have any pictures of the connection to the 12v board (if that is how it is wired)? If not, did you run the wires to the battery or just spliced into another 12v wire?
2) Wouldn't an inverter pull too much power and melt your 12v wires?
(Pardon my electrical ignorance)
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 12:12pm
Sorry. I can't get pics right now as the pod is tucked in for the winter. But as far as wiring, each of the plugs in the outlet came with a positive wire and ground wire. Just behind where I mounted it is the pod's converter. I followed furpod's instructions earlier in this thread. 

FIRST, completely disconnect the batteries and shore power. Open the bench were the converter is and you will see all the connections. Then take the front cover off the converter and you should see two or three open spots for new connections (it will be obvious.) Connect the positive wire from one of the outlets to one of the open slots and install a bus fuse (I did a 10 amp fuse. But someone chime in if you have other thoughts.) Then connect the ground wire to the negative bus bar. This is also obvious once you look around the converter. It is a bar about 5" long screwed down (mine was on the floor inside the bench) where ALL of the ground wires are screwed into. If you don't have an open slot, it's fine to double up. 

If you get the kind of outlet pictured above with a voltmeter, then just connect that positive wire on that to the same bus as the positive Line In from the battery (you may have to use your best guess here. It is a large gauge red wire.)

Now, I did have to extend the length of wire provided with the outlet, but if you have to do that and aren't sure how, take the outlet to the home store and tell them you need to extend the wires and they can tell how. It didn't cost me more than a couple of bucks in supplies.

BTW, if I didn't mention it above, I got the outlet on Amazon for about $18. I got the pure sine inverter at eTrailer for about $100.

As to your second question, I believe people use the above configuration all the time with no wiring problems. But again, maybe someone else can chime in on that, since I am the original "idiot" who asked the original question (and look at me now! See what you can learn from this board!)
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 12:34pm
That's awesome; thank you.
What size inverter did you get if you don't mind my asking......
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 1:26pm
This is the one I got: 

https://www.etrailer.com/12V-Power-Accessories/Wagan/WC2600.html

200 watt. From my research it seemed like that would be plenty for my needs (television, mobile devices, etc.) and still be within the pods 12v capabilities. It's NOT going to handle a blow dryer or space heater, etc. so consider what you want to be running and do the math.

If you search on this board for "inverters" you will see a lot of discussion about whether a pure sine inverter is necessary over modified sine. I decided to go with pure since the one above was reasonably priced. But I did see a modified sine inverter at my local Costco recently for under $40. I might have given that a try if I had seen it before I bought the pure sine one.

2016 F150 4x4 Sport
Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 8:34pm
My 177 has been put to bed for the winter but i think the boom box had a usb connector on it.
Walt & Lynne
2015 r-pod 177
08 F150 or 2014 Explorer
Pinckney,Mi
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 10:55pm
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Podster

This is to easy...

BUT this requires you to be on shore power. The outlet I installed (above) runs off 12v.
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>