Topic ClosedSoon-to-be new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon-to-be new owner
    Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:07am
With the factory towing package, the frontal area consideration is 30 sq. ft. The base vehicle area is 20 sq. ft. Ford's towing guide says that exceeding the frontal area specs may decrease performance of the tow vehicle.  While the R-Pod specifications indicate that the frontal area is > 30 sq. ft, the shape should help. It isn't a vertical slab like some of the other options we looked at such as the Starcraft AR-One or the KZ Spree Escape, which while not vertical were much more so than the rounded shape of the R-Pod. This seems to be the best option for now, especially since we just upgraded the Escape and are in no position to trade vehicles.

I will certainly keep an eye on things and report how it works once we pick it up and get some real-world experience. Ford does recommend using premium gasoline when towing. I have been filling with premium in preparation for picking it up so the engine can develop the maximum power instead of being down tuned for regular gas.

I think if I can watch the weight, that will also help. The RP-179 has a dry weight of 2,630 lbs. If I can keep the loaded weight under the 3,500 lbs (well under, I hope), that should also help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:57pm
We are also in North Carolina-Chapel Hill actually.  We also bought from Country Roads RV-Jeff Zimmerman was very fair and honest with us. Tell him I said "Hello" when you pick up your new unit.

We also looked at Casita and Scamp and decided on the RPod-so glad we did.  Its been a great trailer for us.

Let me know if I can help with local questions.  There is a lot of great info on this forum-read it and ask questions.
travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:33pm
Vann,

Thanks. We go to Chapel Hill when my wife has appointments at the UNC Medical Center. It will be good to compare notes.

Edit:  I just looked at some of your mods. I have some ideas, but will need to get the R-Pod first and see what ideas I can use. I already know I need to add a 12 volt outlet. I also would like a shelf above the bed to hold things like my CPAP machine, our cell phones, etc. I need to find out how to mount a shelf.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by StephenH

While the R-Pod specifications indicate that the frontal area is > 30 sq. ft, the shape should help. It isn't a vertical slab like some of the other options we looked at such as the Starcraft AR-One or the KZ Spree Escape, which while not vertical were much more so than the rounded shape of the R-Pod. 

FR likes to infer it is an advantage, but we've all learned that isn't true.  Once you get above 50-55 mph you hit a brick wall.

Ford does recommend using premium gasoline when towing. I have been filling with premium in preparation for picking it up so the engine can develop the maximum power instead of being down tuned for regular gas.

No need to buy premium until the tank that you will tow with.  The variable valve and knock-sensing systems are constantly checking for and adjusting for multiple variables including the fuel.

I think if I can watch the weight, that will also help. The RP-179 has a dry weight of 2,630 lbs. If I can keep the loaded weight under the 3,500 lbs (well under, I hope), that should also help.

I always throw up a big warning for 3500 pound rated vehicles that will be towing the heaviest pods like that one.  Pack light and do not tow with any of the tanks full.  Maybe a few gallons of water to wash hands and flush while you are on the road but that's it.  Rule of thumb is with your stuff and a full tank of water you'll add 1000 pounds, and you need to stay below that.  Put some heavier things in the TV if you can.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:01pm
We'll have to see how it performs. I appreciate the advice about the tanks. I was thinking of going light on the first trip. I already was thinking about using the T.V. for items. With an equalizer hitch, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:57am
Be careful of overloading the tow vehicle also-check the sticker on the driver's door to find out the total weight allowed and weight of cargo.  remember that anything you put in or on the vehicle (people, fuel, luggage, tongue weight,etc) are all part of the gross vehicle weight.  It's not hard to overweight the vehicle pretty quickly.  Before any trip, we go to the county dump and weigh our rig completely.  a set of scales is the only way to really know what we are doing.

Let me know when you will be be in Chapel Hill

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:26am
Thanks. I was planning on hitting up scales at the first opportunity after we pick it up.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 5:56pm
Before you decide to buy a jeep, take a look at Consumer Reports.  They were not overly fond of the Jeep.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm
I personally never gave much weight to Consumer Reports automobile evaluations ever since they rated the diesel powered Oldsmobiles of the '70s over the Mercedes 300D and the Peugeot 604 for both value and reliability.  I've had no problems with my several Jeeps dating back to 1976.  IMHP Consumer Reports should stick to toasters.  
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:42pm
LOL, I don't think they have been that bad over the years.  I'm sure the crew that did reviews in the 70's is long gone... Embarrassed
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>