R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwning options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning options
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
A short cassette awning has been added by a couple owners, with mixed results. Best bet would be to start a new thread with that question in the topic, so those owners might see it.. 
Countrygent View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:17pm
I had a vintage canvas striped awning in green and cream made which came with the smaller welt for my 2012 177 that has the larger rail.  

Tried the slit tubing fix, it was either not done right by me or just not workable, it would jam going into the rail or trying to get it out, or the welt would come free on any sagging of the awning, you are on a stepladder and it is unwieldy, not practical for me.

I then tried small sections of slit tubing over the welt, popped on as I fed it in, not great result, the awning would come loose in stronger breezes.  Last year I just gave up and used a cheap little lounge chair umbrella for shade and put the awning fix on my "think about it" list.

I have heard of people using pliers to squeeze the channel, but I am hesitant, so I'm going to use some 5/8 rigid piping in small sections with loops of paracord that I'll run through small holes drilled behind the bead into the flat of the welt.  In other words give up on trying to hold the small welt in the channel and use tie points to sliding anchors in the channel.

Essentially the make your own awning grommet attachment idea (several small tube attachments for paracord loops to run in the rail) modified for my awning.  There will be a small gap, although as I will run the paracord loops from the underside of the awning welt, it might pull the welt pretty tight to the top of the rail.  Originally I was looking for aluminum tubing but the stiff plastic Ptex style is sold at the hardware store for all of about $2 for 4 feet and will be much easier to cut and no sanding or jagged metal edges.
Geoff & Tricia & Phoebe the Retriever
2012 177 HRE
Toyota Tacoma 6cyl
Little Bigpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12