Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to and how often do you use your R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to and how often do you use your R-Pod
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:32pm
WE have been camping for the last 49yrs in tents up to class a's. Now we have a pod and love it. 
 One of the great thing,s about camping is listening to our kid,s talk about all of the great trips we all went on when the were small. Next year is the big 50th anv. and we all are planing on going up Yellowstone summer of 2017 (this will be our 6 or 7 time we have been there)
Kid's  grandkids, Mom and Dad. Camping is the only way for us. 2 yrs ago we took off and drove to AK. and back 7,000 miles round trip.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:58am

It sounds like you are experienced and have a feel for how much you might use a Pod, if purchased.

Two other benefits that I like about owning a camper are:
1. I can take my dog travelling with me, and
2. It is a "backup residence". For instance, when I lose power, in a storm, nothing works in the house. I can use the camper for a few days, if needed.

Last year, I was awakened by a storm/power outage. My first thought was "Darn...I can't even have my morning coffee". Then I remembered "Yes I can!" I got the keys to the camper and had all the amenities of life again. Luckily, the outage was only a few hours. This seems to happen about once per year. I keep my fresh water tank full, in season.
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:14am
[QUOTE=codycountry]You better not dwell on that super deal very long!! Wow[/QUOTE]

You are being sarcastic right? The dealer I visited the other night gave me prices less than this for new.

fwunder, I'm a bit jealous of all the destinations you've been to. Music festivals is another that I hadn't considered.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:22am
We have had our R Pod 173 for almost 5 years. We love it-have spent a lot of time using and improving it.  Our use is probably a little different than most owners.  We use it almost exclusively for long distance , multi-week travels.  We have been out as long as 10 weeks at one time.  We live in North Carolina and have traveled to florida 4 times, to the UP of Michigan, the Adirondacks, 3 times to California/Washington/Oregon, to the Rocky Mountain National park.  We are currently planning a 3 month trip starting in august to the Grand Canyon, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas areas.

The pod is a great traveling home.  If you have camped, you know to take what you need and few extras.  The Pod will treat you right. I would not hesitate to immediately buy another one if mine were stolen or destroyed somehow. My next one would have the slide out for additional space. I do use the rdome  if we are staying in one place more than a couple of nights. It is also a valuable part of the package.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:14pm
We are now entering our 6th year with our 177.  We love national parks, state forest campgrounds where there is no electricity.  Also do state parks w/electric though.  Use is 2 weeks in September and then 2 day getaways during the summer every other weekend, as dictated by my work schedule.  So total use comes to around 30 days/year.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:33pm
No I was quite serious in my comments.  That was a hell of a deal where I live.  In Wyoming. 
Out west that is a bargain price for a used  rpod. 
I paid exactly that amount for our similar lightly used 2013 177 Hood River rpod two years ago, and we thought we stole it although it was a nine hour drive to Idaho to get it.   Ours is a Hood River edition, so might be slightly higher priced than what you are looking at.
When it's time to jump, you should do so. 
It is rocket science.   Or perhaps it is jet engine science.
Or proper timing.
If you can buy a new one at that price do so, and I might start buying and hauling and re-selling rpods to the western US if you send me the links.
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by codycountry

No I was quite serious in my comments.  That was a hell of a deal where I live.  In Wyoming. 
Out west that is a bargain price for a used  rpod. 

If you can buy a new one at that price do so, and I might start buying and hauling and re-selling rpods to the western US if you send me the links.

The dealer quoted price for a fully loaded (all options) 2017 RP-179 was $14,735, this is at Couches RV Nation and they tell me that they have people from all over the country buy from them, drive out and haull them home. They're also the largest R-Pod dealer in the nation and move about 200 a month.

I still haven't made up my mind though, I'm on the fence between the R-Pod and a Surveyor HTT and it's primarily sleeping space that's causing the questions.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:39am
We purchased our R-Pod 179 in December. Our first trip was from NC to NV and AZ. While enroute, we stayed:
Street in front of a friend's house in Charlotte.
Truck stops (Flying J or Pilot)
While in Nevada, we stayed at the Desert Eagle RV park on Nellis AFB
While in AZ, we stayed in the front-side yard of our younger daughter's house.
While on the return trip, we again stayed at truck stops (Flying J, Pilot, or TA).

The only truck stop that did not allow us to stay was a Petro station. It was not for lack of room. The first clerk said yes and then, (I guess it was her supervisor) heard and said no. Petro lost a customer that day. I had just filled up, so it was not as if I did not want to patronize the business. I don't recall the location though. It might only have been that particular one.

We have also stayed at Holly Point campground at Falls Lake, NC.

Grandma's RV park in Shepherdsville, KY. This one has a very strange setup for fresh water and sewage. Both are adjacent to one another in a concrete pad. The sewage dump point is an inch or two elevated. The fresh water hookup is recessed into the ground about 2' from the sewage dump point. I have a separate evaluation of this elsewhere. For this reason, I would not recommend it. The potential for contamination is high. The campground was adequate otherwise.

Of course, there is also our driveway. I want to do some work to make a place along the side of the house so I don't have to keep it in the driveway. Right now, it would sink into the yard if I tied to put it there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
les olvera View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:54am
Are you kidding me, if you ask that question as to the amount of usage, I think you should take your time and think harder before purchasing.  I purchased my Rpod-171 with the intent to make a dream voyage,due to family situation my dream trip fell through, but it didn't stop me to enjoy my rpod, I just tweeked my plans and enjoy trips closer to home.
Les
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by les olvera

Are you kidding me, if you ask that question as to the amount of usage, I think you should take your time and think harder before purchasing.

Uh, no, I'm not kidding. It's a perfectly valid question for someone who has never owned an RV before. I have many uses already in mind for it but I wanted to know how other people use their campers to get other ideas I hadn't thought of. And by thinking harder, does that mean not coming to these forums and asking the questions that come to mind?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>