R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrigerator on battery and propane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator on battery and propane
    Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 11:01am
Originally posted by myownskin

So, if the refrigerator is running on propane it doesn't use the battery? For some reason I thought it doesn't run on propane alone and needed the battery as well, and if the battery only lasts two hours? Guess that is two hours
solely on battery power.

Yes, 2 hours or so on 12v. Running it on propane, and using 12v as minimal as possible other then for the fridge brain, most boondockers can go 4 days, some report a full week. Weather, and what all you run, affects the battery life.

And if on accident I do run the battery down I cam recharge it with the tv, interesting... I will look closer at the other posts as well, so much to learn.

Use Jumper cables to hook the truck battery to your camper battery, and start the truck, it will charge pretty fast that way. Hooking up the bargman and running the truck also charges, but very slowly in comparison. If you are lucky, and have the "right truck" the bargman can push a 30A rate, but good jumper cables can move 4-6 times that, depending on the alternator in your truck.

Lori
alan7170 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Unless you have shore power, run the fridge on propane. The propane is what will keep it cold. The fridge has LED indicator lights and a contol board that use battery power even when the fridge is on propane but the battery usage is minute and relatively inconsequential.

For dry camping your single 12v battery will last maybe 4 days before needing recharging. If you're going to be out that long you need some kind of plan to recbarge.

TT
We have a 177 and I can easily go more than a week dry camping in summer with no recharge...fridge on propane, LED lights, the water pump is infrequent...there is really not much to drain the battery...

Alan

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Podster

Not much I can add to that except this is my 1,000th official post! Big smile

Woo hoo!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by alan7170

Unless you have shore power, run the fridge on propane. The propane is what will keep it cold. The fridge has LED indicator lights and a contol board that use battery power even when the fridge is on propane but the battery usage is minute and relatively inconsequential.

For dry camping your single 12v battery will last maybe 4 days before needing recharging. If you're going to be out that long you need some kind of plan to recbarge.

TT
We have a 177 and I can easily go more than a week dry camping in summer with no recharge...fridge on propane, LED lights, the water pump is infrequent...there is really not much to drain the battery...

Alan

The only stock item I've found that will really drain the battery is the furnace.  I would estimate that when we were running the furnace with outside temps down to the 40s and keeping it about 70 inside the Pod, the furnace would consume about 20 amp hours in a 10 hour night.  The furnace will also drain your propane rather quickly as well.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
alan7170 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by alan7170

TT

Alan

The only stock item I've found that will really drain the battery is the furnace.  I would estimate that when we were running the furnace with outside temps down to the 40s and keeping it about 70 inside the Pod, the furnace would consume about 20 amp hours in a 10 hour night.  The furnace will also drain your propane rather quickly as well.

Exactly...which is why I have no problem dry camping the the summer for 7-10 days before needing a recharge.

In truth, my lovely wife and I end up towing the vehicle to dump the tanks and refill water once a week or so...and that recharges the battery...so I am not sure how long I could actually go in the summer...

Alan
Marco T View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 6:10pm
We ran the fridge on propane whenever we weren't plugged in and over two weeks, including one night running the furnace, cooking everyday with the stove, and running the water heater a few of the days - we only used $2 of propane.  Not bad for two weeks!  The fridge definitely sips propane.
The Tri-podders
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel - 5.7L Hemi
2015 R-pod 176T
myownskin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 11:10pm
ThAnks everyone for the help, really appreciate it.   It will be about 4 days exactly, so I will be prepared to have to possibly charge it, and maybe will not have to. Just the answer and understanding I was hoping to get from this group.
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
I have this question, is either one.....gas or shore power any faster at cooling the frig down?
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Patriot Dave

I have this question, is either one.....gas or shore power any faster at cooling the frig down?

I don't think it really makes a difference because either way, the ammonia mixture used in lieu of traditional coolant is being heated in order to eventually, through the ammonia absorption process, cool the refrigerator.  Once it's sufficiently heated, I doubt that it would make a difference either way.

In my experience, it takes a good 24 hours or so to cool the refrigerator down regardless of whether shore power or propane is being used.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

Originally posted by Patriot Dave

I don't think it really makes a difference because either way, the ammonia mixture used in lieu of traditional coolant is being heated in order to eventually, through the ammonia absorption process, cool the refrigerator.  Once it's sufficiently heated, I doubt that it would make a difference either way.

In my experience, it takes a good 24 hours or so to cool the refrigerator down regardless of whether shore power or propane is being used.

In my experience, propane cools the fridge more quickly and efficiently than 110 volt.  Case in point:  On a recent camping trip, the ambient temp in our camper rose to the high 90s.  I was running the fridge on shore power, set at the coolest setting, but the thermometer inside the fridge was at about 50.  I immediately switched over to propane, and the temp quickly cooled to about 40.

My uneducated theory is that the flame produced by propane is hotter than the heat generated by electricity, thus providing better circulation of the ammonia. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>