Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlaska 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska 2017
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:09pm
As I have indicated I believe I will have a little more than 300 miles range while towing do you think this will be sufficient?

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
NickLPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
For the Canadian portion of the trip, you might find useful information from the CAA https://www.caa.ca/
(It is associated with the USA equivalent AAA I understand).
We signed up in NE Ontario for maps etc. to plan our drive from Jasper Alberta through the US home.
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 Audi Q5 3.2 V6
Wife Carole
Dog Corra
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:39am
As far as range, the stock Tundra fuel tank is not huge: 26.5 gal, and we never exceeded 15 mpg towing; most often it was in the 12 to 14 range, (though our truck unhitched, normally hits 19-20 mpg on smooth highways). So, adding one 5 gal fuel jug gives you a minimum of 60 add'l miles range. It's nice to have the edge of extra fuel, whether you actually need it for every leg of the journey or not. If you can tote 2 of them, that's at least 120 extra miles (for the Tundra). The Frontier is an excellent, well made and very tough truck.... yet the body is not so heavy, so you probably would have an advantage over ours in range. Sometimes, after setting up camp, if we were near a small town, we'd head in and top off the tank. You would only run out of fuel if you were careless in watching your fuel level and had bypassed several fuel stop opportunities. I bet you'll be fine if your attentive. I carried just a quart of oil to occasionally top it off that way. --B
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
Back in summer 2015, the $CDN to US$ conversion was this way:
Multiply litre cost by 3.79 = cost US gallons.

However, the exchange rate may have changed by summer of 2017. Anybody love math out there and want to work it for current levels ?
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:19am
The Frontier has a 21.5 gallon tank and I plan to carry a 5 gallon can and I have a 2.5 gallon can for my generator. Mileage varies from 12-14 while towing conservatively giving me a safe 300 miles range. with some wiggle room. I generally run on the top half of the tank. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
bob-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 2:49pm

The wife and I took a trip to Alaska towing our 171 from mid-July to mid-August in 2013.  I had the plan of one week up, one week back ,and two weeks to play.  We started in Washington state an hour west of Seattle and drove to Dawson Creek to the start of the AlCan and took the Cassiar back.  We also brought our little dogs with us.  (Make sure to get papers from the vet).

As mentioned by others, you will want to have the most current version of the Milepost.  It was an excellent reference and would list services, turnoffs, etc. by the mile or less.  It will let you know where gas stations are.  My wife drove past a couple because they “didn’t look like a gas station”.  Sometimes you might not notice the pump until you pull in.

Three hundred miles capacity in the gas tank will be plenty of miles and long as you pay attention and plan on filling up even if you are only at a half a tank.  Don’t think about only putting in a few liters because the prices “have to get better”.  We were paying about $4.00 in Washington that summer and I had sticker shock the first time I had to pay 1.75 CDN /liter.  I think we ended up paying that twice and at one place I paid 1.94 CDN /liter.  I did carry two 5 gallon cans of gas.  Besides the price of gas being high the exchange rate was pretty crappy.  If I remember right gas was most expensive in northern BC and became a little more reasonable in the Yukon.

You will definitely want to spend two or more nights at the Liard River Hot Springs.  Besides soaking we also saw a moose from the boardwalk.  Whitehorse had a couple of museums that were decent.  Make the side trip through Skagway and Haines.  We did it on the way back and caught the Alaska ferry between the two.  Lots of bald eagles in Haines (and The Hammer Museum).  Skagway is hit by the cruise ships but was fun to visit. Do the walking tour with the National Park Service.  In Denali we stayed at the Teklanika campground.  You are only allowed to drive so far in the park, so don’t worry that you will have to keep the vehicle parked if you camp at Teklanika.  You will have to buy a Tek bus ticket but you can ride to the Observatory every day for one ticket purchase.

We spent a week on the Kenai at Cooper’s landing.  It was close to the fishing on the Russian river.  We didn’t fish but saw numerous guys in the water.  We took a glacier and wildlife cruise out of Seward.  Well worth the money.  You can buy an Alaska coupon book.  We got one from someone returning from Alaska and saved over $100 for the cruise.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. 

2015 RPOD 178 HRE (2015- ) 2010 RPOD 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:56am
Hi Ron and Sharon,

Michael and I have been seriously thinking of Alaska for this coming year, and your query here has generated wonderful information.  Are you looking for traveling partners or are you happier going solo?  Our research is yet to be finalized, but we do have a friend in Tok who is offering us some advice.  Thanks!

Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 8:31pm
Great info here.  Can't wait to do this ourselves but it will probably be 12 years away.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 6:24am

Hi Diane and Michael,

Our basic plan is a solo adventure however it would be fun to hookup with some others at intervals along the way. The most likely scenario is that I would leave in mid June from Boston through Vermont to Montreal take 117 and 11 through northern Ontario to Thunder Bay then the Trans Canada to either Edmonton or Calgary where Sharon would join me. At that point we would begin the Alcan/Cassiar/Alaska portion of the trip. We are still in the very early planning stages and family/social obligations have been known to throw a wrench into our plans in the past. I usually get into the serious planning; dates reservations, etc. in February or March. Let us know as your plans mature and maybe we can do a portion together.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 7:56am
It would be fun to meet up along the way! Let's stay in touch. It's always great to meet new friends aso we travel.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>