R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:34am
Stephan,
My DG-3000 is last years model, and the manual says 2600-3000. There is nothing on the unit that lists specs. It will be interesting to see what they say about the discrepancy on the website.  If the 2017 model really has more horsepower it may be that it has a higher rating, I'm going to contact them also and find out.
I ran the A/C while camping last weekend on the generator, and then made popcorn in the microwave as a test and it ran both no problem, I didn't try it the other way around though, I'll do that test next time I have the chance. But I don't for-see that I would really ever need both at the same time as I've only used the oven a few times in the 9 months I've had the pod. 
It is a standard Chinese made knock off and I think at this price point,( $479 all in), even if it only lasts a few years I'm still miles ahead of buying 2 honda's (or similar) and the parallel kit, or a larger unit that will run everything. Here's a 3000 watt inverter/generator on sale until 4/9 at Home Depot $499 
 I had a bunch of questions about inverter generators and found this website with all the answers to the questions I had, Good reading.
Cheers, John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
I received a reply which was a rather terse "3000 and 2600."

I looked at the Home Depot link. I like that one since it has a 30A outlet. The downside is that it states in the description that it is not meant for use above 3000 ft. It is also a 2800/3000 watt generator, which is not a full 30A. The outlet makes it convenient though. If I did not already have the Generac, I would certainly be looking to buy this one as opposed to the DG-3000.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:06pm
I've never heard of a warning to not run a generator higher than a certain altitude.  You will lose power the higher you go, but it will still run just a bit rich.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:38pm
I was surprised to see that also. Generac states, "Please know that maximum power decreases about 3.5% for each 1,000 feet above sea level and will also decrease about 1% for each 6°C (10°F) above 16°C (60°F) ambient temperature." They do not state an altitude limit. However, I can understand one since the generators do not self-adjust for altitude changes like fuel-injected automobiles do.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:30pm
Different brand, but for what it's worth my Yamaha 2400ishc ran fine at 9000 ft.  I think we even ran it at 10k.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:32am
I have two Honda generators. One is the "Companion" and they run parallel with just a wire connection. Each one can be manuevered easily, like the weight of a full suitcase. Reliability and respect for neighbors were big decisions when I sprang for the $l000 each cost. No regrets, even came in handy when the last hurricane knocked out the power.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12