R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat kind of vehicle do you tow your Rpod with?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of vehicle do you tow your Rpod with?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:12pm
I tow my 180 with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost, and get around 13mpg.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:32pm
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7L Hemi towing a 2017 179.    Plenty of power,  12-14mpg towing 18-20mpg unloaded.  
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:18am
We tow with a 2012 ford Expedition EL and love it.   I would highly recommend a large SUV for anyone towing an R Pod .  Generally the large SUV's have the same frame, engine, transmission as the pick ups, they just have a much better interior storage area.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
fonseca179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:45am
We tow our 179 with a '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:54am
We started towing our RP-179 with a 2016 Ford Escape SE with 2L Ecoboost engine. That was until December when we had an accident which put the Escape out of commission for an extended period. To continue our trip and get home, we purchased a 2010 Nissan Frontier. The Frontier has a 6100 lb tow rating compared to the 3500 lb tow rating for the Escape. At higher elevations, the Escape did better because of the turbocharger which the Frontier lacks.

If I were shopping now, I would want to wait until this fall when the 2018 Ford F150 is expected to get a 3L Diesel. If I understand correctly, Nissan will be putting a Diesel in the Frontier for the 2018 model year also. Either one would be a good choice. If you don't want to wait, the Ford Ecoboost engines are pretty amazing. The turbocharger makes a huge difference when towing at any significant altitude. The downside is that it usually requires premium fuel when towing. On our last trip, Diesel was significantly less expensive then premium. That difference can add up to significant savings on long trips. Enough long trips can help pay the difference in the cost of the Diesel engine.

SUV vs. Pickup? There are advantages to each one. I like the SUV for handling and interior storage as mentioned by Vann & Laura. I like the pickup since things like a generator, spare propane tank, and gasoline for the generator can go in the bed of the pickup along with other things one might wish to carry. We have a hard tonneau cover on ours which keeps things in the bed dry. If it had not come with that, I would be looking for a cap for additional height plus the waterproof storage.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
craigwood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
We tow with a recently purchased F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed tranny with tow package.  Pulls the hills and passes of Idaho with no problems so far, and I use regular gas. Still deciding if I need WDH or sway control - a trip down the always windy Columbia Gorge OR to the coast in the near future will help me decide.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by craigwood

We tow with a recently purchased F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed tranny with tow package.  Pulls the hills and passes of Idaho with no problems so far, and I use regular gas. Still deciding if I need WDH or sway control - a trip down the always windy Columbia Gorge OR to the coast in the near future will help me decide.

For the 3.5L Ecoboost, does your owner's manual specify regular or premium while towing? Our 2L Ecoboost Escape specified Premium for towing and best performance while not towing, but regular ok for daily use while not towing.

Edit: From my searching, I found that while you can run regular, Ford recommends premium for situations where the engine is being stressed. Towing is one of those situations, so premium is recommended. Given that you are nowhere near the towing capacity of an F150 3.5L Ecoboost, you are probably just fine using regular. The 2L Ecoboost of the Escape, OTOH, was definitely pushing the limit and premium was definitely needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
RockyMtnRPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
2016 RPod 178. 2013 Toyota Tacoma xtra-cab v6 tow package with "Super Springs", too.  On my 7th Toyota.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by craigwood

For the 3.5L Ecoboost, does your owner's manual specify regular or premium while towing? Our 2L Ecoboost Escape specified Premium for towing and best performance while not towing, but regular ok for daily use while not towing.

Edit: From my searching, I found that while you can run regular, Ford recommends premium for situations where the engine is being stressed. Towing is one of those situations, so premium is recommended. Given that you are nowhere near the towing capacity of an F150 3.5L Ecoboost, you are probably just fine using regular. The 2L Ecoboost of the Escape, OTOH, was definitely pushing the limit and premium was definitely needed.
I tow with the 3.5 ecoboost I have only use regular while towing the pod. I used premium once with the pod and noticed no difference. I have used premium once while towing  a 9000 lb boat and trailer over the Sierras from Reno to San Luis Obispo. The 150 forums I'm on suggest premium while towing anything over 5000lbs in the hills, (stressed).
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:32pm
2015 Toyota Tacoma with tow package... Does great.... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>