R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMirror extensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirror extensions
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:50pm
Thanks Leo.  This is the beauty of the R-Pod.  Being narrow enough so that I can easily see behind me on both sides even beyond 200 ft.  No extensions needed on my Ford F-150 or Explorer.Thumbs Up
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:19am
I always used them with my Silverado. Easy to put on and take off and I could see more when backing up, especially when driving up on blocks for leveling. On the road you will see who is directly behind you, something you won't see as easily with stock mirrors. They don't help much with who is on your side, the stock mirrors do that better. Personal preference: I'd rather see more than less when I'm driving.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:54am
I added one of the small circular blind spot mirrors to my mirror extensions, it lets me see better what's behind me and also what is right down the side of the pod.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Lady Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:10am
When you had the RX350, how well did it pull up hill? I am still debating on keeping it or getting something bigger.
Lady Traveler
R.Pod 179
Lexus RX350
Lady Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:13am
This question was for Steve with the Lexus rx350.
Lady Traveler
R.Pod 179
Lexus RX350
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
I tow our RP-179 with a Dodge Dakota.  Being smaller than a full-size pickup, I felt my vision to the rear was somewhat restricted with the stock mirrors.  I purchased some clip-on mirrors and used them for the first time on a recent trip.  I found that, with the clip-on mirrors, I could actually see vehicles behind the R-Pod whereas before my vision was limited more that a few hundred feet behind.  My original mirrors may have been legal, but I found towing with the additional mirrors a much more comfortable experience.  I decided to trust my gut on this issue and not get wrapped around the "legal or not legal" aspects.  I would feel terrible if I caused an accident because I was not fully aware of my highway environment.  I like the additional coverage my new mirrors provide, but your situation, vehicle, or experience might be different.
M0tl3y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:37pm
I couldn't agree more with PodWa. I've been towing recreational TT's for 9 years and finally got mirror extensions about a year ago and now wish I'd had them all along. Legal or not, they just make the towing experience that much better. How can you ever argue against better visibility, in any situation. If you're on the fence, get a pair of extensions and I know you'll never regret the decision. 
The 178 club
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:33pm
Another thought on tow mirrors.  I usually travel at 65 mph on the freeway.  Though the speed limit around here is 70 mph in most areas, I would bet that most vehicles on the highway are traveling at 75+ mph, some much higher than that.  The mirrors give me extra time to avoid changing lanes in front of the really fast guys out there.  I felt I needed a little longer vision to stay out of trouble.  They may be breaking the law, but I bet a jury wouldn't give me much of a break if I didn't yield to the speeders.  I would be considered a contributor to the accident, at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12