R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote apache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 8:26pm

swapped torsion axle with 5,000lb solid axle, slapped some leaf springs in there and 33" tires on 15"wheels.  Also installed 120V heat trace wire on water tanks and insulated them.  Pod is 6" taller now.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 8:40pm
You won't hit a ramp or speed bump even if you try.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Webstas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webstas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by apache

swapped torsion axle with 5,000lb solid axle, slapped some leaf springs in there and 33" tires on 15"wheels.  Also installed 120V heat trace wire on water tanks and insulated them.  Pod is 6" taller now.

post pics of the tank mods, i wanna see how you insulated them :)
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by apache

I am guessing that you might have to change out the jacks or put blocks under them.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 12:06am
Battery cutoff switch
This is what I did to add a battery cutoff switch to my trailer. I used a 50 amp circuit breaker, panel mounted and switchable (Cooper Bussmann #285050P-121-S) and a Flange Mount Panel Gasket for the Circuit Breaker (#B156-7003-J). I ordered them from waytekwire.com. The battery box will fit a group 31; it was the largest I could find that would fit in the existing space (Atwood Marine 9084-1 Large Battery Box). I got it from amazon. I mounted the circuit breaker on the side of the battery box. The wire from the trailer is bolted to one side of the circuit breaker and I made up a short jumper wire that goes from the circuit breaker to the battery. The factory wire runs under the trailer to a factory installed auto reset breaker. I am not a fan of high amp auto reset breakers; if something happens that causes the breaker to trip I want it to stay off till I can find out why it tripped. I took the 2 wires bolted to the auto reset breaker and combined them on one stud, this took the auto reset breaker out of the circuit without having to remove it and was an easy way to splice the wires together. I also coated every exposed connection with Liquid Electrical Tape to insulate and protect the connections under the trailer. It’s available from Home Depot and comes in different colors and the lid has a brush attached. On the circuit breaker is a red button you can press that causes the breaker to open and a yellow reset lever drops down to show you it is off. To reset you push the yellow lever back up. I also removed where the white wire ground wire is attached to the frame and took a 3M sanding disk to remove the paint and reattached the ground wire. I also added 6 gauge jumper wires to tie all the factory ground points on the frame together. Steel is not as good of a conductor as copper is, and then coated the bolts with Liquid Electrical Tape. On the other side of the battery box is where I attached my solar controller for my solar panel (I will write that up in another post)

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 6:16am
Nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Q7-retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:35am
an interesting approach!  Circuit breakers are typically rated for many fewer on/ off cycles than switches -- do you anticipate a problem?
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:26am
CB185P-50 this is the one I installed. My work has used this breaker for a long time. When I switch it off the only thing drawing current on the trailer is the gas detector. waytekwire.com #46940.

From the Bussman website
Type III - Manual Reset The circuit breaker will remain tripped (in the OFF position) until an indicator button or lever is manually reset. Type III breakers are also available with a switchable feature, which allows you to use an external button to disable the circuit. Cooper Bussmann circuit breakers feature our patented fail-safe technology - offering an innovative element design which combines the resetable performance of circuit breakers with the short-circuit protection of a fuse. Resetable, to work like a normal "cycling" breaker, in low overload conditions. Under severe overload or short-circuit conditions, the breaker's element will open to prevent damage to the circuit.
Specifications:
Single Pole Thermal Type Breakers
Ratings: 25A to 150A; 30 VDC, 3000 Amp Interrupt Capacity.
Operating Temperature: –25°F (–32°C) to 180°F (82°C).
Storage Temperature: –30°F (–34°C) to 300°F (149°C).
Applications: Typically used in auxiliary and accessory circuits -- trucks, buses, RV’s and marine applications. Others might include battery chargers and DC audio systems.
Series 181, 184 & 185 are sealed for engine compartment and bilge area applications.
Housing: Thermoset plastic; UL rated 94VO; 311°F (155°C). Stud insulators are provided on covered units with F (Surface Mount) bases.
Mounting: Panel or surface.
Indicator: Series 184 & 185 have a unique reset mechanism which provides visible indication of tripped condition.
Approvals: Complies with SAEJ1625

CB187P-50 marine (this is the marine version. waytekwire.com #46890)
Specifically designed to meet the needs of marine applications, the CB187F and CB187P offer 5kA interrupting ratings and ignition protection per ABYC E-11. Usable as an ON/OFF switch (capable of withstanding 3000 on/off cycles @48Vdc), they have corrosion resistant plating on 5/16-18 copper terminals.
Specifications:
Single Pole Thermal Type Breakers
Applications: Typically used in DC power systems in marine applications (as a main or
branch circuit breaker), truck and bus systems, RV systems, add-on protection for
accessories, lift gates, etc. This unit is external ignition protected and weatherproof.
Specifications
Rating: 25-200A, 48Vdc
Interrupt Rating: Main Breaker Protection Interrupt Rating (5,000A@ 14Vdc, 3,000A@ 28Vdc and 1,500A@ 48Vdc).
Operating Temperature Rating: –40°F (–40°C) to 185°F (85°C)
Storage Temperature Rating: –40°F (–40°C) to 260°F (125°C)
Materials: Black UL-rated 94V0 thermoset plastic body. Cover and lever are UL-rated 94V0 thermoplastic
Termination: 5/16-18 threaded studs
Ingress Protection Rating: IP66
Features / Options: A manual reset circuit breaker with On-Off switch capability
Compliances: ABYC E-11; CE; SAE J1171 (ignition protected)
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by JandL

When I switch it off the only thing drawing current on the trailer is the gas detector. waytekwire.com 

The point of a battery disconnect is to cut off ALL loads in the camper, especially the LP detector.  If you've put the breaker on the main connection at the battery the LP detector should be off, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JandL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JandL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 10:43pm
Yes the circuit breaker is about 3 inches from the battery so when it is off everything in the trailer is off. The forth picture shows the cable from the battery positive post to the circuit breaker. Q 7 Retired had asked a very good question “Circuit breakers are typically rated for many fewer on/ off cycles than switches -- do you anticipate a problem?” He is correct because some circuit breakers are not certified to be used as switches, so I sent the products specification that show the circuit breaker is rated as a switch. Switching DC voltage on/off is hard on a switch; depending on what the load is because they may arc, which will eat away the switch contacts. A high amp DC circuit breaker can only handle so many on/off cycles at the rated load of 50 amps. Before I turn off the circuit breaker I make sure all the DC loads are off, the only thing I can’t turn off is the gas detector. The gas detector gets turned off when I turn off the breaker. The gas detector draws 90 milliamps (.090 amps) so when the circuit breaker switches the gas detector off it’s a very low current draw and so the breaker will last for a very long time.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>