R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTires for RPod 179 - Event Date: 16 Aug 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tires for RPod 179
    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:30am
Greetings

The main problem with tires is proper inflation.  Get a good tire gauge and make sure your tires are at max psi for both the RV and the TV.  Avoid taking corners to sharply and running over or against curbs or obstructions.  You have to remind yourself that you are now in a vehicle that's 40 foot long.  

Crankster78   R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:49am
I was pretty vigilant about tire pressure and they blew out anyway. The 179 puts C-rated tires very near their rated weight, so any number of issues could cause a blow-out. I have a TPMS on them now that reports both pressure and temperature, with alarm thresholds I can set.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by TheBum

I was pretty vigilant about tire pressure and they blew out anyway. The 179 puts C-rated tires very near their rated weight, so any number of issues could cause a blow-out. I have a TPMS on them now that reports both pressure and temperature, with alarm thresholds I can set.
I don't understand this. Our (original) tires on our RP-179 are, indeed, C-rated. However, since it is Hood River, they are 15" tires and are stamped with a load rating of 2250 lbs, which puts them somewhere in the range of 700 lbs over the GVWR of the R-pod. In fact, because we're carrying over 400 lbs on the tongue, that puts the tire load rating more than 1000 lbs over.

There must be a significant difference in load rating, depending on the tire size, etc.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

There must be a significant difference in load rating, depending on the tire size, etc.

There is. C-rated 14" tires are spec'ed to around 1750 pounds each.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 5:57pm
GlueGuy,

I have seen you say this before and in all honesty I can't tell you what the original C rated 14" tires on my non HRE 178 were load rated for. What I can say is I didn't like the lower tire pressure, didn't like the ride and didn't like the handling traits on the open road. So I went with a D rated tire, with a superior side wall and increased tire pressure. AND I'm satisfied. I feel I made an improvement, my money, and I'm satisfied with the decision. I can't talk about my 14" C rates in comparison to your 15" HRE C rates. But does it matter?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by mcarter

GlueGuy,

I have seen you say this before and in all honesty I can't tell you what the original C rated 14" tires on my non HRE 178 were load rated for. What I can say is I didn't like the lower tire pressure, didn't like the ride and didn't like the handling traits on the open road. So I went with a D rated tire, with a superior side wall and increased tire pressure. AND I'm satisfied. I feel I made an improvement, my money, and I'm satisfied with the decision. I can't talk about my 14" C rates in comparison to your 15" HRE C rates. But does it matter?
NBD. I agree that there seems to be a fair amount of "bounce" in the tires we have, and to some extent, I feel it is part of the suspension. Probably smooths out the bounces a little bit, but I'm no expert. All I'm really saying is that if you have a HRE with the 15" "off road" tires, their load rating is a lot higher, and you may be able to live with them for the duration. Ours has 2 years and I don't know how many miles, and I think they will make it the whole 5 years.

I do know that those 15" size tires are an off size. There is no direct replacement anywhere, so I expect to go to a heavier tire when the time comes.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Kris B

even though we keep them covered, they're 5 years old and just looking for new ones

Hi Kris, please check your Private Messages. 👋

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123