R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBaffled-What is This?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baffled-What is This?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:50pm
Yah, I saw that Spirit interior, very nice. Hope you can enjoy the two classics awhile longer.

I had to sell my old Land Cruiser when I was living in the Outer Banks, couldn't stand to see it suffer corrosion, so now I only have my modern "practical" vehicles. Since we bought our little hobby farm here in SWVA I have toyed with the idea of getting an antique tractor for mowing it, but its too steep in spots to take the risk so I'm going to get a more modern safer, and "practical" tractor as well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:09pm
I had a small longhorn enterprise years back on 20+ acres. I had a couple old Massey Ferguson tractors, very similar to the Ford 8Ns, great classic tractors and very good with terrain.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:23pm
My new place is 24 acres, a little more than half in pasture. The sellers mowed it with an 8N and wanted to sell it to me, but I passed. Some of the slopes are  around 30 degrees and being a tractor newbie I want something with a ROPS. I'm honestly terrified of being crushed by 3500 lbs of steel trying to figure out a new tractor and brush cutter on a new property. I've learned the hard way over the years to take my pucker factor seriously. 

I did drive a Massey 35 I liked but it had armstrong steering, Hydraulic steering is another benefit to the newer equipment, my back and shoulders aren't what the once were....Anyway, like RV'ing, it should be fun, not a white knuckle experience. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:26pm
Smart Man:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by offgrid

My new place is 24 acres, a little more than half in pasture. 

I hope you put that on BoondockersWelcome.....mine is.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
Another thread hijack-I have a 1963 Massey Ferg 35 that I have rebuilt the electrical system and the carb/fuel system and  repainted. I use it with a bush hog, a scraper blade and a boom for moving logs to cut for firewood. I have owned it for over 30 years and it runs like a top. Great tractors for small scale usage
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:12am
Originally posted by Pod People

Another thread hijack-I have a 1963 Massey Ferg 35 that I have rebuilt the electrical system and the carb/fuel system and  repainted. I use it with a bush hog, a scraper blade and a boom for moving logs to cut for firewood. I have owned it for over 30 years and it runs like a top. Great tractors for small scale usage
Vann

A boom on the 3 pt is a great idea short of spending the $$ on a loader and 4wd.  

As I want a ROPS and power steering I was thinking of stepping forward to the '80's and looking at a MF240. Perkins diesel. The later ones also had wet brakes, I haven't seen many tractors with dry mechanical brakes where they seemed to work properly, and I think I'll need all the help I can get brush hogging the hills I have. 

I'd love more suggestions on this from you experienced small scale tractor operators and this thread is the wrong place. I'll start one in the off topic section... 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:17am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by offgrid

My new place is 24 acres, a little more than half in pasture. 

I hope you put that on BoondockersWelcome.....mine is.

Once we get settled I plan on doing that. It's only about 10 miles from the Blue Ridge Pkwy. But first I'll need to get my daughter and son-in-law to move their full timer 38 ft class A with the 5 slides outta there, I couldn't even get my 179 in there right now, that thing is HUGE. Star
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:57am
We have a Kubota B7500. It has the folding ROPS, and one nice thing is the rear wheels are adjustable for width; so we set them to the widest setting. After putting them "out" the wheels are about 5' wide. A large part of our property is 100% slope, but if I'm careful, I can reach many parts by just going down/up one of the many paths available. I did equip it with an inclinometer so that I don't have to trust the "pucker factor" when I'm on a side slope. The inclinometer is graduated in green, yellow, and red. I know with filled tires and as long as I have the brush hog set low, I am safe in the yellow zone. Any time I get near the outer edge of the yellow zone, I look for a way out lest I find that random gopher hole.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123