R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpare tire on bumper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare tire on bumper
    Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:53am
We got the tire mount from northern tool. It worked out great. Mounted it on the tongue next to the propane tank. Doesn't interfere with the battery rack. You would need to offset a dual propane plate though. Otherwise, it keeps the tire close to the tongue instead of away. Easy set up, four bolts and nuts.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 7:56am
Cody,

I think the larger one ($30) is the one to look at. The problems will be tire clearance to the front of the Pod and tire clearance to the propane tanks if you have two. It's a tight fit. As I remember the original tire carrier gives a bit more clearance from the back of the tire to the plane of the trailer frame. So the questions are do you have the original bumper mount carrier and do you have dual propane tanks? You may actually have to call the carrier supplier (good luck) to get all the dimensions.

EDIT: I think this is also what WingNut is referring to if you have dual tanks.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:44am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Cody,

I think the larger one ($30) is the one to look at. The problems will be tire clearance to the front of the Pod and tire clearance to the propane tanks if you have two. It's a tight fit. As I remember the original tire carrier gives a bit more clearance from the back of the tire to the plane of the trailer frame. So the questions are do you have the original bumper mount carrier and do you have dual propane tanks? You may actually have to call the carrier supplier (good luck) to get all the dimensions.

EDIT: I think this is also what WingNut is referring to if you have dual tanks.

CharlieM,

I have a single tank.  Not sure if I have the original tire carrier (currently have a 2014 Rpod 178) but it seems to have some decent length from the back of the tire to the plane of the trailer frame.

I also have a WDH.  I'm trying to figure out if that will work out also.

Thanks.

Cody
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 9:40am
Cody,

If you look closely at my original post you'll see there's little clearance to the front of the Pod as well as the gas bottles. Your single bottle will help, but don't rule out a future upgrade.

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3132&title=tongue-mounted-spare-tire-on-172

Also space on the frame for the receiver is limited. That ruled out a nice looking bolt on receiver from Curt. I also had the E2 WDH connected forward of the gas tanks. It all fits. I can't say for sure with the NT carrier without a bunch more digging into sometimes unavailable data. If you do have the original FR factory carrier it seems the Swagman bolt on receiver with 1.25" to 2" conversion spacers would be the cheapest. And I know it fits.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 9:58am
CharlieM,

Thanks for the response.  Did you end up using a drill press to accurately line up the new holes on the mounting plates?

Cody
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:45am
Yes on the drill press. You really can't drill that sized hole in that thick steel without one. I don't have a press (maybe someday), but I do have a good neighbor. If you use the Swagman receiver the supplied bolts are metric, slightly smaller than 1/2". I replaced with SAE 1/2" bolts but you should drill with 9/16 to provide clearance. If you only have a 1/2" drill you'll have wobble and or ream unless you're really good.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:51am
Charlie,

Just curious why you spaced the new holes 3 inches apart on the Swagman Receiver when the width of the frame is 2 inches? Did you do it to balance the Swagman receiver over the width of the frame?
Also, why did you replace the original bolts with 1/2" bolts?  The ones supplied seem adequate.

Thanks

Cody91
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 4:13pm
Cody,

It's getting a little faint in the rear view mirror since I no longer have my Pod, but here goes:

The holes are 3" center to center. This accommodates the 2" frame, one half of each bolt diameter, and some slop for tweaking and misalignment. If you drill 2" center to center it won't fit. The original bolts were metric and too long for the 3" frame. They are only threaded on the end so shorter bolts are required. I just went with the closest SAE size rather than metric.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:49pm
Thanks Charlie for recalling your thoughts on this. I'm planning to do this mod once I can get to my father's house and use his drill press.  Thanks.

Cody91
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123