This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP 180!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP 180!!!
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 12:28am
Morro Bay is a favorite place. I lived there with my exwife 30 years ago. It’s nice to be able to camp there.
We are loving the new rPod. The best part is that is does in fact fit in my outside parking place next to the condo. I was worried because I have to back it in off of an alley and there’s not a lot of room to maneuver. It took me 20 minutes but I did it! I had six inches on each side, backing in on a corner. Didn’t want to hit the garage and I really didn’t want to hit the neighbor’s van. The rPod is seven feet longer than the tent trailer was and it makes it really difficult in limited space to back it in.
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by StephenH

You mention adding overload springs. Consider instead a weight distribution hitch such as the Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control hitch, the Progress Industries E2 hitch (2-point sway control), the Andersen No-Sway hitch, or something equivalent. These will provide sway control as well as keeping the back of the truck from sagging too much. Sway control is something you don't need until you do. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Crosswinds and passing trucks can exert much more force on the 180 than they could on the Coleman.

Would a good WDH do a better job of leveling the back of the truck than just the overloads alone? I measured the air gap this weekend. Unloaded I have a six-inch gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the bed fender. Once the trailer is on it drops one inch to a five-inch gap. This was our first overnight trip with the 180 and we didn't have a great deal of gear with us. (No bikes, kayak, and only 1/3 full of freshwater tank.) I imagine that with more weight the truck would drop further.

I'm wondering why the RV shop techs who installed the brake controller on the truck and did the walkthrough BOTH said that I was fine without the WDH. Wouldn't they have wanted to push something else to make a sale?

Would the WDH or overloads alone do a better job of controlling bounce, especially going over bridges on the highway? That's one thing I did notice this weekend that was mildly annoying.

Thanks for the advice.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:05am
I don't have any experience with overload springs for comparison so I hesitate to say which would be better.. The one thing a WD hitch with sway control that I know about will do for you is provide sway control that, unless your truck has it integrated, is lacking.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Would the WDH or overloads alone do a better job of controlling bounce, especially going over bridges on the highway? That's one thing I did notice this weekend that was mildly annoying.

Thanks for the advice.

IMHO my answer is yes! As would also things like Sumo Shocks, helper springs, or even just better rear shocks then the original ones. Once my WDH was properly adjusted and with the addition of up graded tires both my wife and I immediately noticed an improvement on "bouncing" on our 180. Opinions very on whether or not to have a WDH, I wouldn't tow without it due to safety issues alone not to mention the improvement on towing.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Would a good WDH do a better job of leveling the back of the truck than just the overloads alone?
In a word. Yes.

The overload springs do nothing, zilch, nada to transfer any load to the front axle (the steering axle). So while it may look OK from a level point of view, you still have effectively "unloaded" the front axle by whatever the moment arm is. If the tow vehicle is big/heavy enough, then no problem. However, if the vehicle is relatively light and/or front wheel drive, then you might be in for an unpleasant surprise. That's the main job of a WDH, it takes a portion of the tongue weight, and transfers it to the front of the tow vehicle. The exact dynamics vary with the size and weight of the TV and TT; no two situations will be exactly the same.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
TV is a 2011 Tacoma V6 PreRunner Access Cab with the factory tow package (upgraded alternator, bigger battery, receiver hitch and trailer wiring. GVWR on the truck is 5,250 I believe. More than the trailer weight but not by a significant amount. I notice that most people go with the WDH.

(The truck has the TRD Off Road package with the off road gas shocks. I never take the truck off road but liked the higher ground clearance of the PreRunner and I wanted a V6 because I knew when I bought the truck that I would eventually replace the tent trailer with a travel trailer and I didn’t need four wheel drive.)
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:37pm
The Tacoma is a great tow vehicle for pretty much any R-pod. If you poll this forum, you will find that a significant percentage are towing with a Tacoma. As long as it's the V6, you should be fine. I'd probably prefer having the WDH, simply because I like having all four wheels with good traction/control.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
I think there is a bit of half truths here. A WDH transfers weight to all axles of both the TV and the TT. Does it assist with front end rise - yes, most say a WDH is a good idea if TT is 50% of weight capacity of TV. Do your headlights shine into the sky, your TV rear end sag, you notice sway or control issues, then WDH is a good consideration. Absolutely agree beefing up rear suspension is not the right answer, the right answer is to distribute weight. And a WDH does that across ALL axles. I wouldn't let the forum WHD shame me into adding something I don't need. I know many of this forum use them, do they all need them, I guess so if they think so. I don't have a WDH and I tow fine. BTW - I would not go with dealers recommendation, this is about you and your towing experience.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 9:37pm
All good advice. Thanks to all who have offered their comments. I will have to carefully decide which route I shall take. Leaning now to the WDH but will have to convince the wife, as she is always texting me little emojis of dollar bills flying away with sad faces.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 12:19am
We got reservations for the 2018 Cannon Beach Meetup! Yay! We will be there all three days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>