R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery current draw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery current draw
    Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 5:31pm
That is the clarification I was after.  Many thanks.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 4:34am
Yes Colorado rpod Guy, sorry we hijacked your thread. Your daily heater use alone would be probably about half of the available capacity of a single Group 24 battery and most of the output of a 100 watt solar module.

The dual GC2s is a great starting point but I will add one caution, and that is tongue weight. That mod will add about 65-70 lbs, essentially all on the hitch, so do confirm to yourself that works with your rig and towing setup. I didnt check that first with my rig and was surprised to find I was at about 570lbs afterwards fully loaded on my 179. Had to relocate some supplies aft in the trailer to rebalance.

Also, looking back through the thread, you thought there was a significant stray load somewhere, did you ever resolve that?

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 8:57am
One other important concept to remember is that your batteries are being recharged by the solar input.  so you are using X amount of power and putting Y amount back in from the solar panel.  Even though x may be bigger than Y, as long as you keep your batteries above 50% discharge, you are still good. For example, At the beginning of the trip you are at 100%,. Day 1 you use 20% and recharge 15%, so you are only down 5%. The next day is the same-now you are down a total of 10%. Using this example of losing only 5% daily , you can theoretically go for 10 days losing 5% and still be at 50% charged.
Batteries are made to be discharged and then recharged. They don't have to be 100% to be usable.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Colorado r-pod guy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm
Regarding the stray load, I measured and found out that it is only about .1 amps, so not a major concern.  Probably just the propane detector (my CO and smoke detectors are on 9v batteries).  Enough to kill a battery over time, but that is why I am installing a battery cut-off.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:22am
Colorado r-pod guy, glad you found your stray load and its in the normal range.

One thing you should consider is how to keep your battery charged while your rig is in storage.  I see from earlier in the thread that you bring your battery home if its going to be more than about a week before you use it again. That's good, because lead acid batteries shouldn't go more than about a week without being charged.  I'd suggest you also consider getting a battery charger and keeping it on float charge while you have it at home.

Alternatively, if you can keep the trailer on ac power or install a small solar charger so it was being charged at your storage site you wouldn't need to remove the battery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234