This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Travel is Fatal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 5:49pm
gpokluda,

Absolutely, i agree, I have no intention on pushing it, speed wise or otherwise.  No liquids in the RPOD (due to weight) and I'm more and more inclined to move over and let others race down the highway.  I'm looking to replace an old small ranger (in my small fleet of vehicles) with an 2010 Tacoma. The Tacoma has a larger 6 cylinder (than the Highlander).  I'm thinking i may put a hitch on it, e brakes & a trans cooler to see if it'll pull the 179 better than the Highlander.
2017 RPOD 179
2016 Toyota Highlander w E Brake
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Travel is Fatal

gpokluda,

Absolutely, i agree, I have no intention on pushing it, speed wise or otherwise.  No liquids in the RPOD (due to weight) and I'm more and more inclined to move over and let others race down the highway.  I'm looking to replace an old small ranger (in my small fleet of vehicles) with an 2010 Tacoma. The Tacoma has a larger 6 cylinder (than the Highlander).  I'm thinking i may put a hitch on it, e brakes & a trans cooler to see if it'll pull the 179 better than the Highlander.

Just to give you a data point, we pulled a 179 with a 2015 Nissan Frontier with a 4.0L engine for about 50K miles. While the Nissan was up to the task, it did struggle in hills and spent a lot of its time in 3rd gear. We were limited by overall payload capacity and worse, range due to a smallish gas tank. We got somewhere between 9 and 12mpg, it seemed we were always hunting for a gas station, sometime after only 150 miles! At the time we lived in Albuquerque, NM and if we wanted to go anywhere, we had to deal with hills and wind. Things were a little better on the flats, but no matter, we stayed between 60-65mph. We used a Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch with built in anti-sway. 

Your Tacoma has one big thing going for it, it is a body on frame vehicle. I know folks swear that unibody vehicles work just fine, but I'm old school that way. 

Good luck and safe travels.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 2:46pm
+1 WRT the Tacoma. We have a 2010 Tacoma long-bed with the 4L V6, and does just fine on the flats, and below ~~ 3,000 foot elevation. It will struggle in the mountains above 3,000 (or so) feet. That, plus the gas tank is only 20 gallons, so range is not super.

OTOH, our 2015 F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and the 36 gallon gas tank can go all day long (or 400+ miles anyway) without a refill, and the EcoBoost laughs at 8,000 foot elevation.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 3:06pm
theres only one and only option...........F150.  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Travel is Fatal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Travel is Fatal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 4:12pm
GlueGuy, thx for your comments regarding a Tacoma. Maybe down the road, I'll be in a position to go back to a full size pickup.  Until then I'll tiptoe (on the slow lane) with what I got.
2017 RPOD 179
2016 Toyota Highlander w E Brake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546