Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 87>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ron/roscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:54pm
My jeep has a 8 speed tranny, do you think I will get better than 10mpg?  I get 20 mpg around town with ECOM switch on.
Ron Rowland
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by ron/roscoe

My jeep has a 8 speed tranny, do you think I will get better than 10mpg?  I get 20 mpg around town with ECOM switch on.

You will get 10-12 mpg towing the Pod at 55-65 mph.

Take your regular highway mileage and divide in half... The result will be very close to the MPG's what you will see towing a Pod. Don't know why but this formula seems to bear out very close for gas powered engines.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 7:37pm
That mileage was right on for my sisters Honda Pilot however when I tow with my Dodge 3500 Mega Cab one ton turbo diesel I get the same mileage as when I am not towing anything.
The Pirate's Pod
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 7:38pm
That mileage was right on for my sisters Honda Pilot however when I tow with my Dodge 3500 Mega Cab one ton turbo diesel I get the same mileage as when I am not towing anything.
The Pirate's Pod
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:41pm
a rig that size probably doesn't feel it at all!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

But the tow capacity is 30,000 pounds.  And the fuel economy of that truck is 16 mpg "maybe", when NOT towing. Definitely a purpose built truck not meant for something as small as a light camper. You could tow the equivalent of three 5th wheels with it.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:29am
The reason we have the Dodge is because our other RV is a 39 foot Montana 5th wheel.   And yes I don't even know when  it is behind the Dodge.
The Pirate's Pod
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:57am
True power!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ron/roscoe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ron/roscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 2:14pm
Question?  On newer cars, there is a ECOM button that help with the gas milage.  How does it work?
Does it shut off  a third of the hp?  Can I use this option while pulling my Rpod?

Ron Rowland
emckinley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote emckinley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 2:29pm
Hi All,

I had my concerns about towing with my 2010 Escape (V6), but I pulled my new 179 rather well. Better than I had expected, actually. I felt it--and knew the Pod was there for sure--and going up steep grades it made the V6 work, but I didn't push it and the car did fine. Obviously, the WD hitch and sway control are a must. A  pic below (this was posted in another location last week but here it is more appropriate). Oh, and as for MPG: Normally, I average about 24 MPG. I got about 14 to 15 MPG with the Pod and that is going up/down hills/mountains for northern PA. Probably would be a little better if I were towing over flat land. I wonder, though, if I put better gas in the car if I'd get better mileage and maybe performance? I hear conflicting things on using mid-grade or premium vs. regular. Cheers and happy podding!
Elliott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 87>