R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank fell from r-pod - Event Date: 03 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black tank fell from r-pod
    Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:13am
Make mine root beer please. Either that or Ginger Ale. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:31am
I hear you. These days I am more likely to opt for a Ginger Ale too. I happen like to prefer mine with a little ice and lime, which is funny because everyone assumes I am having a mixed drink!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 11:42am
I'm going to have to try that. It sounds good.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 1:08pm
It's really good with non-alcoholic Ginger Beer.  Then you add the ice and lime to suit your taste.  When it is really hot out I tend to add a lot more ice and lime.
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Retroactive

I think this is the point in the discussion where we all need to sit around the virtual campfire and have virtual beer.

At least arguing about the Rpods is a lot more productive than arguing about sports or politics!

You are 100% right!!  

StephenH, I apologize.  After reading my posts I was more than a little harsh.  I hope you get your situation all worked out to your satisfaction.  The design is not the best, but I suppose Forest River engineers figured it was good enough...

Once again I am sorry.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:52am
It's Saturday.. take the wife and kids to Sonic for a shake.. stop by the local RV place.. look under a few TT's.. you will find FR didn't reinvent the wheel. And note that the highways are not littered with holding tanks.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by jstrenn

Originally posted by Retroactive

I think this is the point in the discussion where we all need to sit around the virtual campfire and have virtual beer.

At least arguing about the Rpods is a lot more productive than arguing about sports or politics!

You are 100% right!!  

StephenH, I apologize.  After reading my posts I was more than a little harsh.  I hope you get your situation all worked out to your satisfaction.  The design is not the best, but I suppose Forest River engineers figured it was good enough...

Once again I am sorry.

I looked at my post again. I am sorry that I sounded like I was questioning your abilities. I should have looked up some of the information about screw strength first. Even so, in my case, the brackets and screws did need repair as it did have gaps and threads showing. That included at least one screw that was bent.

The good news is that I got a call today to tell me that the work is done. Big smile My wife and I will be driving up Monday to pick it up and bring it home. I'll be able to get a good look at it once I get it in my own driveway again, although I will crawl under while we are there to at least do a basic check of all the brackets.

What do you think of taking a small piece of angle iron, as long as, or a little longer  than the width of the cross-bar brackets and drilling and tapping it as additional support under the bracket? Would that do any good or would punching more holes in the frame tend to weaken it more than the additional supports would strengthen it? This might be something I would consider if the gaps are not completely closed on all supports. That is, if it makes sense.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 10:37pm
We picked up our R-Pod from the dealer today. Most of the brackets are now tight. What I think was done was to just tighten the screws. However, when we got there, the bracket on the entry door side for the fresh water tank was still not done. A technician came out and finished the job, but apparently either stripped out or sheared off one of the screws, as he then drilled another hole between the two and put a screw there. I'm not happy with that, but since I did not want to wait around longer or make yet another trip, we picked it up and I will modify that bracket to something more satisfactory.

The rest, I will monitor to ensure they are not loosening.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 10:42pm
Drill a hole through each bracket and through the center of the frame and add a bolt with lock washers...not hard at all.  No idea why they don't come that way. 
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 9:40pm
When I looked closer, the technician had stripped out the hole. That is why he had drilled and put a screw in between the locations for the original ones. I did not like that, so I purchased six 5/8x24x3" Stainless Steel hex-head bolts, six stainless steel washers, and six stainless steel nylock nuts. On the first bracket, I used the stripped hole to drill through the bracket and frame. On each of the others, I removed one screw and used that hole to drill through. Each got a bolt, washer, and locknut. I would say that this should be a permanent fix. The hard part is trying to drill straight. I didn't always get it perfect, but it is still better than what was in there originally.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>