R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRetracting slide out with water on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retracting slide out with water on
    Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:27pm
I just found out the hard way that retracting my slide out with the water on wasn't a good idea. It popped a Pex T (3-way) joint going from the water heater to the sink. Seems as if the line full of water created too much of a bind when sliding it in and it cracked. I never thought I would need to shut the water off and drain the sink line before retracting.  I'm sure if any of the three lines going into that joint were an inch longer it would have had plenty of slack to move back and forth full of water. Shouldn't happen again after the repair with a little more slack but I won't take that chance again.

Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:37pm
Ouch! Ouch

We didn't think about that possibility when we bought our R-179. But now that I am thinking about it, I'm happier with the R-179 decision because there are no water lines in our slide-out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:27pm
Another problem we have never had.  in six years of camping with our pod retracting the slide countless times with pressure in the lines and no problems.  We must have gotten the good pod.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:43pm
When I first took delivery on my 178, I noticed with slide retracted the hoses were visible at bottom of slide. I removed all the access panels and had wife move the slide. I adjusted, supported and tied things up to not cause any stress on hose lines. I don't put water to Pod until end of set up and I pull water to Pod first when getting ready to move. I don't think inherent pressure is an issue, it's a matter of moving things around with 45 PSI of pressure. I took from your post the Tee broke not the hose, which makes sense. Could be a defective Tee. Lot happening in a mobile living space. Happy Trails.
Where are you at in middle TN?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Ten16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:46am
Originally posted by mcarter

When I first took delivery on my 178, I noticed with slide retracted the hoses were visible at bottom of slide. I removed all the access panels and had wife move the slide. I adjusted, supported and tied things up to not cause any stress on hose lines. I don't put water to Pod until end of set up and I pull water to Pod first when getting ready to move. I don't think inherent pressure is an issue, it's a matter of moving things around with 45 PSI of pressure. I took from your post the Tee broke not the hose, which makes sense. Could be a defective Tee. Lot happening in a mobile living space. Happy Trails.
Where are you at in middle TN?

Yes the Tee broke not the hose or clamp. It was a cheap plastic version, so I upgraded on the fix.
We're just down the road from you in Nashville.
Steve
2016 R-Pod 180
2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew V8
Middle Tennessee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:50am
Defective T, not an issue to move the slide in or out with pressurized lines. We did it hundreds of times.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:08pm
[QUOTE=furpod]Defective T, not an issue to move the slide in or out with pressurized lines. We did it hundreds of times.

Same here, more often than not our lines are pressurized when opening/closing the slide.  Been doing it that way for over six years on our 177.   We also got a 'good pod.' 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply