R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:39am
   If possible could you move more weight to the front to add more tongue weight.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:21am
On my 176T there's already a factory-installed bumber that sticks out a couple of inches to stop the door from doing this.  Integrated into this bumper is a manually operated latch that keeps the door from swinging back when you want to leave it open.  Check out your RV dealer and you can probably get the same or something similar.
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:51am
My (unprofessional) opinion would be a "no", especially if your GVW exceeds the limits specified for tow vehicle and trailer.   Suspension geometry on a vehicle won't permit a "teeter-totter" effect; adding weight to the front in an attempt to balance it will simply make everything lower.  Basically, you would have to add weight ahead of the front wheels; it's simply not practical.

If your tow vehicle's back end is getting too close to the ground, then all I can suggest is to reduce the tongue weight, or install an equalizer.  But even an equalizer is not necessarily a given fix.  It transfers weight from the back of your TV to the front of the TV and the trailer wheels by raising the back end of the TV.  You might be able to pack a lot of weight in the back of your 'pod to reduce tongue weight, but that's not a good idea because you might end up overloading the RV. 

If it's a truck or SUV you're using as a TV, then you might also reduce the load in the back of the truck, and make sure the truck suspension is stiff enough to support the loads you are putting on it.

You should also check the "traveling" weight of your trailer, and the weight on the tongue.  Usually the tongue weight runs around 10% of the trailer weight.  A heavily loaded trailer will naturally have a high tongue weight.  If you travel with a full water tank (which on my Rpod is located in the forward end of the RV), emptying it might be the first change you need to make to lighten things up.

To make a long story short, reduce your weight, and examine how your TV and RV loads are distributed.

2013 R-pod 176T
3.5 L 4WD
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:19am
We bought our 176T last year (towed by a Honda Ridgeline).  The dealer actually recommended we DON'T use an equalizer hitch.  We went for two trips on two consecutive weekends, and I was not happy with the performance:  there was quite a bit of rear-end "floating", which also presented some some steering control issues on twisty roads, and we had no end of oncoming traffic flashing their lights at us because they thought we were not dimming our high beams.  Both of these we're signs that an equalizer was in order.  And, in other places I have read in this forum, if your RV weight exceeds your TV weight by 50%, then an equalizer should be used.  I have heard, although I haven't confirmed it, that some US states require an equalizer if the RV weight goes past 50% of the TV weight.  Perhaps another Forum member can validate the truth in this.

I lucked into a very good used Reese equalizer hitch after the second trip, took an hour to install it and do the initial set-up, and the change it made was remarkable.  First, when it's installed, it lifts the back end of the Ridgeline over two inches.  This has made for much much easier and predictable handling characteristics   I can actually relax while driving it.  And there are no more lights flashing at me.

Your Venza and my Ridgeline also have AWD, which means that the front wheels must have their proper 
loading on the ground for proper handling and performance.

As far as a heavy lift to hook up the bars - not so.  I've never measured it, but I doubt if it's no more than a 25 pound lift.  Even if that is too much, you can still wind down your front post after the ball is coupled and use that to raise the back end of the TV an inch or so, and the lift in the torsion bars drops to just a few pounds.  Once set up, both bars are installed in less than a minute.

Simply put, installing the equalizer has been the best single thing I have done to improve handling.  

Hope this helps.
2013 R-pod 176T
3.5 L 4WD
Harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:25am
My (unprofessional) opinion would be a "no", especially if your GVW exceeds the limits specified for tow vehicle and trailer.   Suspension geometry on a vehicle won't permit a "teeter-totter" effect; adding weight to the front in an attempt to balance it will simply make everything lower.  Basically, you would have to add weight ahead of the front wheels; it's simply not practical.

If your tow vehicle's back end is getting too close to the ground, then all I can suggest is to reduce the tongue weight, or install an equalizer.  But even an equalizer is not necessarily a given fix.  It transfers weight from the back of your TV to the front of the TV and the trailer wheels by raising the back end of the TV.  You might be able to pack a lot of weight in the back of your 'pod to reduce tongue weight, but that's not a good idea because you might end up overloading the RV. 

If it's a truck or SUV you're using as a TV, then you might also reduce the load in the back of the truck, and make sure the truck suspension is stiff enough to support the loads you are putting on it.

You should also check the "traveling" weight of your trailer, and the weight on the tongue.  Usually the tongue weight runs around 10% of the trailer weight.  A heavily loaded trailer will naturally have a high tongue weight.  If you travel with a full water tank (which on my Rpod is located in the forward end of the RV), emptying it might be the first change you need to make to lighten things up.

To make a long story short, reduce your weight, and examine how your TV and RV loads are distributed.

2013 R-pod 176T 
3.5 L 4WD
2013 R-pod 176T
3.5 L 4WD
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mtbmitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 11:22am
how about some better shocks for the TV. 
enjoy the fresh air
cmrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 11:45am
On the 2014 177: took old cargo nets from pickup truck and strung them across storage area under bed secured with teacup hooks. Keeps 2 containers with clothes from sliding during travel. Also strung a second net in front of the dinette, securing to the faces of the seats. You can store a lot of miscellania there and it adds weight to the front of the trailer (specifically: 2 laptops, a Dreml kit, toiletries bag for showers. a medium sized container with paperbacks. Any help? Thanks. CMRG.
cmrb
JayPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JayPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 1:55pm
My 177 swayed a bit until I got the right hitch height. It rides best with a bit of a rake angle towards the TV. Since then, all was well.
2014 177
2014 Audi Q5 TDi
2013 Ford Escape EcoBoost
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mtbmitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 10:22pm
moving spare tire to front of trailer instead of hanging off the back is another way to transfer the c.g.

enjoy the fresh air
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm
Recreational Care Unit (RCU)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 52>