R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 12:05pm
      And one more.  Sorry for the picture duplicates:    uploads/4717/podundermodA.JPG
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 8:57pm
So this is the airflow mod underneath?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 1:02pm
Yes, it gave quite the fuel savings-22%-over 8000miles. Remember that I have the trailers a-frame floored as well but this was done before this other air flow mod so can't know if it (the a-frame job)was involved in the fuel savings.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 1:27am
We just completed the first leg of our maiden voyage. Two modifications I made which have been really useful are to add a 12 volt outlet and a shelf.

The 12 volt outlet was easy. I got a socket and installed it, connecting in to the wiring for the heater.

The shelf was a bit more challenging. I also used the wooden Allen Roth shelf from Lowes and L brackets. However, instead of drilling into the walls, I used the L brackets to hook behind the valence on each side and then used heavy-duty command strips to fasten to the wall. I also installed a bolt at the end of the support boards and drilled a hole in each end of the shelf to fit over the bolt. It prevents the shelf from sliding. I have found that so far, this shelf travels well.

I will try to add pictures later.

I appreciate the picture of the underbody modifications. I hope to do so after we return from this trip. Any increase in mileage would be greatly appreciated.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 2:30pm
Good job.  What I have recently done for books and magazines is to mount what looks V-like (cross section of) clear plastic file holders that I bought from Office Depot.  These came 3 in a set.  I've got 2 side by side mounted over/on that mini shelf thing that is right at the wall end of the table, using small screws and silicone.  Then the 3rd one mounted the same way over the kitchen-side wall but over the window above the bed.  This one for night reading.  Both books and travel brochures and maps store well in those.  And a real easy mod.  Note that we have a 177 model Pod.  Have great travels!
RoadToad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadToad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:15am
2015 RP179
TWIN PROPANE TANKS
TWIN BATTERIES
MIRROR ON CABINET DOOR BY EXIT DOOR
60" SPICE RACK OVER REAR WINDOW- COROPLAST & ZIP TIES
PAPER TOWEL DISPENSER BY EXIT DOOR/KITCHEN AREA
SKIRTING AROUND POD FOR COLD WEATHER CAMPING
TV MOUNT THAT TILTS UP & DOWN
TIE DOWN FOR TV ANTENNA

2015 RP179
RoadToad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadToad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:23am
I would love to see pix of this.  Is there anyway to post pictures?
2015 RP179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:02pm
Press Post Reply at the bottom-right of the page Then press the little tree picture.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jpntime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:19pm
Love to camp
2014 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
Well, I had mentioned a couple of mods. Since then, I have done a whole set of them and have the pictures to prove it! I will be adding more, but you should be able to see them by using this link:

Edit: All pictures are now in my ouR escaPOD mods. the link is below in my signature.

Pictures show the following mods:

1. shelf bracket (back and top views used to mount the shelf above the bed in our R-Pod 179.

2. Completed shelf showing how it sits on the bracket. The bolt goes through a hole in the end, locking the shelf into place. With our cross-country trip, the shelf rode just fine. The brackets are currently held in place with the L-brackets and heavy duty command strips. One of these days, I will probably change the command strips to moly bolts.

3. Vinyl post (5") cut and strapped in place to hold folding ladder. Since the R-Pod did not have full-width storage, this was needed since I could not fold the ladder lengthwise to fit in the stock storage area. I also put a cap on the end to keep the ladder from damaging the wall. I am trying to figure out the best way to cap the other end. It will probably involve a Velcro (or equivalent) strap.

4. 1" Foam Insulation panels (from Home Depot) cut to fit and wedged in above the stowage compartment.

5. Moved panel from under-bed stowage area, replaced with new panel and constructed frame to make a usable stowage cabinet under the bed that would be separate from the furnace. Added quarter-round molding to cover rough edge from breaking the panel loose. It does not quite match, but under there, who will notice. Smile

6. Constructed frame and panels to convert wasted space on right-side next to closet into usable storage space.

7. Added angle molding to edge of bed platform to cover raw edges (and to keep me from getting more splinters from it).

8. Added pull-ring to back side of bed platform to help lift it. I had previously put hinges between the two platform pieces. I had to trim the edges a bit to clear the window hardware, but now I can get to the water pump easier if needed.

9. Added 12 Volt circulating fan to help move the heat from the furnace out to the rest of the R-Pod. It really does make a difference!. Big smile This one can run from the 12 volt outlet I installed, or from 8 D-Cell batteries.

10. Built framework and box to convert wasted space in dinette end nearest refrigerator into usable space. It isn't big, but every little bit helps.

11. Modified partitions underneath stove on bottom and top to reclaim some wasted space.

12. (not shown) Added layer of 1/4" plywood and bracing to repair cabinet shelf to right of sink which cracked when we hit a large bump and the electric pressure cooker that was on it bounced a little too hard for the flimsy plywood that was there originally. It is still there, just reinforced.

13. (not shown) Added insect screening to refrigerator vents to keep nesting insects (mud daubers, etc.) out. We found out about that when our new trailer had a refrigerator problem (we only had it a week) and when we took it back to the dealer, mud daubers were the problem. They tried to suggest that it could have happened after we picked it up, but this was December, not July, so I don't buy it.

14. Constructed battery lockdowns to make it more difficult for someone to walk off with our batteries. Works well now that I finished tweaking it.

15. This is a fit and finish issue. I saw that the stove had four holes for screws to attach it to the counter. These were not installed and I noticed that the stove was not staying in place properly. It now is screwed down as it should be.

Other fit and finish issues were the failure of the factory to properly tighten the drain fixtures for the kitchen sink. This led to the sink leaking water and damaging two cookbooks which were in the drawer below. Angry I went through after finding that and made sure all the rest of the plumbing (at least what I could reach) was tight.

The last one I will mention is the panel under the refrigerator. What genius thought that three screws into soft aluminum framing were adequate to hold the panel? It now has anchors in the aluminum frame and decorative caps to cover the fender washer and screw heads. These should not loosen as we travel. If they do, I will try something else. Any suggestions?

That is enough for now. I may think of more modifications to make.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 52>