R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 2:36pm
Great job. Will be using extra space under second bed ideas.

edit: removed formatting code that left a ton of white space - techntrek
Ardi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:43pm
Stephen,

Thanks for posting the photos.  I'm looking forward to seeing the under-bed mods (or maybe you did and I couldn't tell what I was looking at!). 

We are very close to buying a 179, and I wish I'd measured the height and width of the space under the bed when we looked at it on a trip a few days ago.  Since there isn't a 179 anywhere near us, would you mind posting those dimensions here when you have a chance?  Thanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:47pm
The 179 is a great model, has lots of storage and kitchen room.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Ardi

Stephen,

Thanks for posting the photos.  I'm looking forward to seeing the under-bed mods (or maybe you did and I couldn't tell what I was looking at!). 

Sure. The ones that show the water heater and furnace on the left show the first under-bed mod. The ones that show the back of an outlet on the left and the storage area door are the second under-bed mod. The ones with the fabric are the left side of the dinette. Then there are four which show modifications to the cabinet under the stove to move the partitions and eliminate wasted space.

We are very close to buying a 179, and I wish I'd measured the height and width of the space under the bed when we looked at it on a trip a few days ago.  Since there isn't a 179 anywhere near us, would you mind posting those dimensions here when you have a chance?  Thanks!

The space in the center is approximately 32 1/2" X 28 1/2" X 14 1/2". Of that, I too 15" to make a 15 X 28 1/2 X 14 1/2" bin, leaving about 17" open for the furnace.

Edit:  The added wall to make my first under-bed mod does not seem to impact the furnace operation in the least. There is still lots of clearance around the front of the unit for air circulation. My fan also helps as it moves the hot air from under the bed and circulates it more effectively than the furnace's built-in fan.

2nd Edit:

I added two pictures to show the battery lock-down brackets I made to help prevent my batteries from being taken. Admittedly, they won't stop someone who is determined, but they will slow him down. They are made of anodized aluminum purchased at my local Lowes. Bending them was tricky since I don't have a metal brake. I used a vise and rubber mallet for bending. It may not be elegant, but it does work, and the cost was minimal.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ardi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:27pm
Thanks so much for the measurements and the edit.  I was going to ask why you left space open for the furnace, since  I thought the vent is near the bathroom.  
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by NXRocks

Just got mine a week ago. I did the following:
  • Install the support for dual propane tanks and install an auto regulator 
  • Build a rack for the generator

I am quite interested in both of these. Do you have more specific information (drawings, measurements, etc.) for them. I am especially interested in the generator rack. How has that worked for you? How much does it weigh?

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 7:57pm
StephenH, they haven't been around in a year and a half.  You might try IMing them so they get an email notification.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 9:58pm
Thanks. I'll try that.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Jobwabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jobwabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm
Do you travel with the generator in place?  And how does the trailer tow with the weight of the dual batts and p tanks in addition, up front?
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote grand beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:18pm

The extremely "rare" Rover model!

I am seriously considering removing the HUGE Forest River sticker. I have already taken over 20 "warning stickers" off the exterior of the Pod. I thing it will make for a much cleaner look. Opinions????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 52>