R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 1:15pm
Wow...sounds like you've been busy!  Good luck on your trip!  There are a few who have upgraded to 2 tanks and I'll defer to them.  The 12v. tongue jack is sounding better all the time...I'm getting lazy in my old age. LOL
Hansonz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hansonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:18am
Confused Update on Mods:

Added a battery disconnect.
Added a Maxxair (type) vent cover over fantastic fan.
Replaced the shower head with a pressure increasing shower head.
Added a vent deflector (magnetic type) over the heater to direct the heat from under the bed.
Mounted a shampoo/conditioner/gel dispenser in the shower. 
Replaced the LP tank with a see thru composite tank.
Snatched up a R-Dome off of craigs list. Going to go the suction cup route for mounting.

Getting close to having the Pod "good to go".
creel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote creel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 4:11pm
We recently picked up our RP-177HRE and we're very happy with it.
Have not done any major mods, so far seems OK as it is. I did however install a 2000W pure sine wave 12VDC to 115VAC inverter.
The unit itself is installed under the dinette bench where the converter and circuit breaker panel is, as I could wire the 12VDC for the inverter from the circuit breaker panel.
I then worked out which circuit is wired to the TV/DVD/Radio unit above the bed, this I disconnected from the circuit breaker.
I obtained a 115VAC rated DPDT switch (double pole double throw) as well as a general purpose power outlet with a surface mount box.
The DPDT switch is centre position off, then up or down are 'on'. 
The circuit to the TV combo I wired to the 'wipers' of the DPDT, then, one 115VAC output from the inverter to one of the 'on' poles of the DPDT and the circuit breaker circuit, that was directly wired to the TV combo, to the other 'on' position of the DPDT.
The second 115VAC output from the inverter I wired directly to the new general purpose outlet, which allows us to use mains operated appliances when not connected to external AC.
The extra outlet and the DPDT switch I located on the left side of the seat box, facing the kitchenette.
So, the way it works is, when we are connected to an external AC source at a campground, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'EXT AC' 'on' position, then the TV combo is powered as originally designed.
When we are camping with no external AC power available and we want to watch TV, DVD or listen to the radio, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'INV' 'on' position and the inverter comes into play.
Works a charm and this way we can use the TV combo anytime when we're not connected to an external AC source.
I also re routed the inverter power switch to a free spot on the circuit breaker panel, so it is only on when we want to use it!
I know it sounds confusing, but really is pretty straight forward if you've had a bit of experience with electrical installations.
One important thing to remember, whenever using an inverter, the batteries of the RV are being used, so need to keep an eye on the charge level. I added a second battery to our R-Pod, this way, it gives us plenty more 12VDC.
If anybody is interested, I can draw up a simple diagram.

Hansonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hansonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Hansonz

Confused Additional mods to the 175:

- Added 2.5 memory foam cover to bed (had to cut to size).
- 3M hooks in various places.
- Indoor/outdoor thermometer/clock
- hung some pictures
- removed table as it takes up way too much room. Replaced with 2 TV trays that store behind the couch
- TP holder mounted to the inside of the bathroom door.
- paper towel holder.
- hung swing up clothes hanger bar (11 in. called a clothes valet on Amazon) outside bathroom wall over bed. Swing up to get clothes, swing down when you find what your looking for or for travel.

I'll be making more mods but I need to take it out first (first time this weekend, weather permitting).

Wish List:
-Replace single propane tank tray with a dual holder (if someone has done this, please let me know where to get the parts).
- Install AM/FM/CD radio with indoor and outdoor speakers (switchable).
- 12V tongue jack

Additional Mods:
- Added the 12V tongue jack
- Added see thru propane tank
- added the Ikea shelves/hooks system seen on many of the R-pods on this forum
- high pressure shower head with new wall mount
- soap/shampoo/conditioner dispenser and various hooks in the shower
- Mounted a 6" fan over the bed.
- set up a 2.4GHz wireless speaker for outside
- white board in pod entrance
- mounted a magazine rack on the wall
- Stove cover (from a TV tray)
- ordered (but not yet received) a Bal Leveler
- Maxxair cover for vent
- carpet on the folding step (easy one)
- Added a bottle holder in the frig (don't want that beer moving).

I think it's time to quit while I'm ahead and haven't done any major damage. Embarrassed

momkirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote momkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:22pm
We had some corian counter top left over from a remodel that my husband used to make a stove cover. What I like about it is that it is is large enough to cover the entire counter area next to the sink so that we have one large level surface!
softball mom
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hodge-PODge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:53pm
A picture of it would be nice!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 8:46am
Yes, we need pics of that!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
momkirk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote momkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 2:27pm

softball mom
Snowbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Snowbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 2:32pm
That looks really good! Thanks for the picture.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Caverkim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Caverkim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 2:50pm
Momkirk, that looks really nice!  
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>