R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wayword1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:31am
Stephen,
Where did you get the 5" X 5" post? I've asked at Menards, Lowes and Home Depot with no results. I was asking for black though?
Anne, Joe
and Quinn our Cairn Terrier

2017 182G
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:20pm
I haven't seen black posts. I got white ones. Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry them. I don't have a Menards near me. If you really want black, buy the white one and get some paint made for plastics and paint them yourself. I did a search for black vinyl fence posts and came up with one on Home Depot's web site, but the price was $113.70. You can buy a lot of paint for that price!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:20pm
I'm sure others may have done this mod on the 180 model that I did today. Under the seats there is all this unused space. Just take off the seat cushions, unscrew the two wood screws on the plywood and have a look. Why FR didn't make the slide out drawer on the seat next to the bed wider and longer is beyond me? Anyways the simple mod is to add two piano hinges on the plywood for each seat so you can access all that unused space. A possible future mod maybe to make the slide drawer longer but until then I'll make some plywood box to hold stuff to fill in the voids. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Wayword1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wayword1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:06am
Thanks for the response Stephen. I think I will do that. I did finally see the black one too at $113.70 and decided painting would be better.
I just finished installing a Fastway trunnion style equalizing hitch. What a monster! Even at it's lowest position it is 1-1/2" higher than the rpod tongue that leaves the rear of the trailer 2" lower than the front which they said was within tolerance, but the odd thing about it is that there is only a 1/4" difference between the front fender with and without the bars installed. I thought there would be more although I never noticed any issues, just wanted to control sway a bit.
We are heading up to Midland Michigan next week, so I'll get to see if I waisted my money.

Anne, Joe
and Quinn our Cairn Terrier

2017 182G
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 4:41pm
I am awaiting arrival of our 182g. So waiting to see what improvements before going nuts on this unit.

First for me is to add a few more 12v connects. I'd like USB style in the kitchen and bed area.
Also looking to see if they added the 12v dis-connect outside at the battery. If not, I will.
Really need to see how they setup the rear kitchen and if I can adapt a second connection for a cooktop.
I will be looking to switch out the batteries with the larger ones I have here.
Then dealing with a secondary propane tank. On the R-Pod or back of truck?

The biggest for me is whether or not I can switch out the small frig for a larger one. The only issue we had with R-Pod was the frig size. Curious if anyone has yet?

We plan on traveling weeks at a time and staying where we like. Have a feeling it will be mostly 'Boondocking' or 'Low Profile' areas. So independence of shore power is important to us.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:32pm
Ithink the only way possible to change out the refrigerator would be to sacrifice the convection microwave. At least, that is the way it would be on our 179. I'm not sure about the 182G.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

The biggest for me is whether or not I can switch out the small frig for a larger one. The only issue we had with R-Pod was the frig size. Curious if anyone has yet?

We plan on traveling weeks at a time and staying where we like. Have a feeling it will be mostly 'Boondocking' or 'Low Profile' areas. So independence of shore power is important to us.

The fridge is placed before the Pod is complete.. getting the old one out will make you cuss, getting a larger one IN will make you cuss in a language you don'e even know you know. I only know of one owner who went through with it, and she says she would never do it again.

Best bet would be to go with a Dometic (or brand of your choice) powered cooler. They have a very good reputation among expedition camper owners..

Something like this:  Cooler.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by furpod

The fridge is placed before the Pod is complete.. getting the old one out will make you cuss, getting a larger one IN will make you cuss in a language you don'e even know you know. I only know of one owner who went through with it, and she says she would never do it again.

Best bet would be to go with a Dometic (or brand of your choice) powered cooler. They have a very good reputation among expedition camper owners..

Had not thought of the door size... Hmm.. Will have to check the opening when I get it!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Ithink the only way possible to change out the refrigerator would be to sacrifice the convection microwave. At least, that is the way it would be on our 179. I'm not sure about the 182G.

Didn't go for the Micro.. Didn't see a use for it! No sacrifice for me!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by furpod

I have looked at those. What I would require is a Propane run one. Those are even more expensive, unless built-in. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 52>