R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GoGirlKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:39pm
Bought three Ozark Trail camping pads 20” x 72” at Walmart for $6.97 ea to put on the 60” x 75” queen bed platform. I hope this will provide extra insulation against outside temperatures, and to perhaps muffle the sound of the furnace when we use it. Added bonus would be that it adds some softness too! Just in case it doesn’t, I bought a memory foam mattress from Overstock.com. Based on posts from the awesome folks in this forum, I went with an 8” mattress.

Also based on your recommendations, I got the the Oxygenics shower head and shut off valve.

Unfortunately, our next camping trip is in February, so I have to wait a few months to test it all out!Big smile
Dog lover and camping enthusiast 🐶 ⛺️
2016 R-pod 179 and 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Beloved husband and a Labradoodle named “Cooper”
Wayword1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wayword1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:43pm
we purchased a Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat and used it on our last trip in Michigan. The nights went down to mid 30s and even on the low setting this provided quiet heat, much more than adequate. If one is paying for a campsite with elect, seems wise to use their source for heat rather than our propane.
Hope temperatures are moderate for your Feb. trip.
Anne, Joe
and Quinn our Cairn Terrier

2017 182G
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
dnedzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dnedzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:05pm
We purchased a used 2016 R-Pod 179 from our local dealer last month (Kettelsen Campers, Wheat Ridge CO).  

Here are the mods and additions I have done so far:
 - Electric tongue jack
 - Cover for the camper - we store it in our driveway
 - folding table and propane stove to cook outside when it's warm
 - Electric heater to use in the camper when in a campground with hookups
   (I don't like the one I bought - it only has on/off, high/low settings, I want one with a thermostat so I can set it to come on when the temperature drops below a certain point, doesn't need to be a specific temperature, though that would be nice)
 - Added rechargeable battery powered, dimmable lamp inside for reading, just more comfortable light than the built in LED's.  The LED's are great when you want a lot of light, but they are harsh.
 - Replaced standard mattress with a 10' mattress - much more comfortable.

Here is what I plan on doing:
 - rubber isolators for the waterpump mount - it is load when it runs (I see others have done this too)
 - longer storage tube for sewer line, standard tube was too small (later years have longer storage tube standard)
 - WiFi booster
 - Cell phone booster (I live in Colorado, plan on boondocking in areas where cell service is thin.  I don't expect this to handle all cases - many places in the west just don't have any service - but improving reception would be helpful)
 - add solar panel
 - Replace/upgrade internal speakers for better sound
 - replace curtains for rear window - by sink, maybe with blinds?  These curtains will not stay open, only option is to take the upper curtain rod off when I want light which is most of the time.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:
 - switch to 6 volt battery and add 2nd to increase battery reserve - do I really need this?
 - Generator - I have a small Yamaha generator, but do I really need this?  I can recharge the battery from my truck (with jumper cables).  I think this depends on how much electricity I use which I just need to camp for awhile and see.
 - Skirts for around base - for winter camping
 - Heating pad for fresh water tank
 - Seal underneath of trailer to protect from rodents chewing on cables and reduce freeze danger for pipes
 - TV - stock 12v tv will not display signal from iPhone/iPad - I connect via the iPhone via a lightning to HDMI adapter to an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the back of the TV.  I switch the tv to HDMI input, no picture displays on TV.  This same setup works fine on my home TV, so not sure what is different about the Jensen 12v tv supplied with the trailer.  I could change out the TV, but I'd like to figure out what's up first.  Or I could just make due with a laptop and forget the TV - laptop screen is about the same size and better quality of image.
 - dual propane tank upgrade - I worry about running out of propane if I am boondocking in cold weather

Derrick Nedzel
2016 R-Pod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 3:02pm
Here is what I am thinking of doing:
 - switch to 6 volt battery and add 2nd to increase battery reserve - do I really need this?
 - Generator - I have a small Yamaha generator, but do I really need this?  I can recharge the battery from my truck (with jumper cables).  I think this depends on how much electricity I use which I just need to camp for awhile and see.

*The two 6v batts to me is smart! If you but right, 3 times the use for close to the same money.
*The generator is a great backup when all else fails. Solar is good, but depends on your usage, sun and size of panel. A Solar Audit is in play for you!

*The stock TV.. Well, it's stock. I actually didn't want the antenna that came with it for I will be using my Laptop most of the time.
*Speakers, I suggest just leaving the stock one alone. Fine for low volume background sound. Buy something like I have. An Onyx speaker. Great sound, bluetooth and Goes everywhere you go.

https://www.amazon.com/Angle-Plus-Proprietary-Cambridge-SoundWorks/dp/B01LZV6TYQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512161949&sr=8-4&keywords=oontz+bluetooth+speaker
$30 and sounds great! Heck buy two.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GoGirlKY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoGirlKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
Crap! I just bought the HDMI lighting adapter and HMDI cable to use on the TV in our new-to-us 2016 179! I am very disappointed to hear that it doesn’t work on the stock TV. Hmm, guess I need a Plan B...Angry
GoGirlKY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoGirlKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Wayword1

we purchased a Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat and used it on our last trip in Michigan. The nights went down to mid 30s and even on the low setting this provided quiet heat, much more than adequate. If one is paying for a campsite with elect, seems wise to use their source for heat rather than our propane.
Hope temperatures are moderate for your Feb. trip.

Thanks! I am going to check out the Lasko heater. I agree, use the campsite source, not my propane!
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Live2Camp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm
We removed the dinnette ottoman closest to the bed - what a difference! According to The Guy (I wasn't here when he did it) it took only a few moments and was really easy. Looking at the floor you'd never know it had been there. Not being tall, I can now easily stand without being on tiptoes to access the right-hand cabinet over the dinette. It also makes it really easy to slide into the dinette from that end. It will be very uncommon for us to have 2 guests in our RPod as our relatives are also campers. But if/when we do, we'll let them have the trailer anyway and we'll be outside or in our tent. So keeping that ottoman just to be able to make up the dinnette bed wasn't worth the nuisance. Thanks to those here who gave us the idea! 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Richand Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
We have the 120 volt TV not the12V and the Apple TV adapter as well the cheap Chinese brands sold on Ebay for $8 worked for playing our iphones on the TV
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
dnedzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dnedzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:32pm
Thanks for the advice!  Sounds like the first thing for me to do is the battery -  Two 6v batteries

- Derrick

Derrick Nedzel
2016 R-Pod 179
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:24pm
Second post.
Triple dispenser in shower for soap, shampoo & conditioner
Command strip holders here and there for miscellaneous stuff. Keys, change, remotes, etc
10’x12’ tent. Can open all sides of close it. 3 sides have windows.
New comforter. 😂

Coming:
Slides for storage compartment
Dual gas tanks
Electrical outlets that feed off 20 amp service at most sites. Inside use.
Jet engine for Pod. Fly the Pod. 👀😂
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>