R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Love Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:49pm
When we purchased our rp177 in 2016 it was a year old.  Not sure the previous owners ever used it as it had stickers in the sink, fridge and toilet.

They had done mods of: 
spice shelf above microwave
wooden shelves across the width of the trailer over the dinette and bed for more storage.
A new bamboo mattress  
sunbrella fabric pockets on the walls of the bathroom with hooks on the door.

We added:
A larger propane tank
Metal locking battery box on tongue for 2 27 batteries
tension bar behind sink and stove top to hold back two baskets for kitchen storage
magnetic knife bar from IKEA by sink
skinny basket to put in spice rack shelf that has taller sides so things wont bounce out.
deflector over heat vent.
we bought a 4' table for outside with adjustable legs, from Costco it fits perfectly over the tire.

What we want to do:
window in door
battery shut off
mirror
do different storage in bathroom
tp holder
make more storage under dinette where converter is.
change out blinds behind kitchen sink to something different
new foam for dinette, we can feel the pea under the cushions when we sit there.

A bird just broke the side window by the dinette, cant seem to figure out how to find a replacement, any suggestions?  Being held together with strapping tape on both sides of the window.

McCoid Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote McCoid Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:45pm
Where did you place the pvc tube for your rug and what did you use to mount? Thanks
Craig & Marla
2017.5 R-Pod 179
2015 Audi Q5
2015 Chevrolet Suburban
2 Yorkies & Catahoula Leopard
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FrayAdjacent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 4:24am
I'll be getting a 176 soon, either this week or next. It'll be my second camper. First was a Rockwood A frame. I still have it, but will be selling soon. 

First, I've removed the Progressive Industries hardwired EMS from the old camper, that I'll be wiring in the new one. That's one thing that will give peace of mind. Next, I ordered a SoftStart for the AC, and will get that installed ASAP. Most of my camping will be without hookups, running on a 2200W generator, so the SoftStart will help a ton. 

My 100Ah AGM battery is coming with me. I also have a 100W flexible solar panel that I attached with velcro to the old camper roof. I'll likely do the same... or later on do a semi-permanent mount for that, or pick up a second one for 200W. I do need to get a charge controller I can permanently install. MPPT would be preferred. I'll maybe set up a switch so that the battery can be isolated from the converter. I'll want to check on the model of converter... the model used in my old camper doesn't have a very good 12V charger. I may want to 'upgrade' that bit, too. 

I think eventually I may want to move the battery to the rear storage. Possibly even go to lithium based batteries, with an inverter wired in.
jlferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jlferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm
I know this is an old post but I just found it. I'm curious about shortening the table. Do you still have a way to turn the dinette into bed?
Desertsontim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Desertsontim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:03pm
Magic Splash Guard - Prevent Water from Splashing out of the Bath or Shower
4" lift kit from Forrest River (Installed myself - about 2 hours)
4" Memory Foam Topper
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwired 30 Amp RV Surge Protector - W/Remote Display (Installed myself, about 2.5.hours)
Added more support blocks under shower

Have had R-Pod about 2 months. Have a few other mods I want to do. Need to save up a bit first. :)
Desertsontim
MysticLily180 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MysticLily180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 9:16pm
i painted the interior of my 2016 Rpod 180 white because i really did not like the factory brown. It is too dark and felt confining. i love how the white has made the interior feel so much larger and more expansive, not to mention lighter and brighter.

Mystic Lily
Mystic Lily
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ghosthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:02am
Shelf over the bed was first. My wife decided on a fishings/nautical theme so I used wall anchors and olive fishnet to make 2 triangular net hammocks over the sofa of our 189. High enough so they are out of the way. Great for storing things like afghans, a jacket, a pillow.

Second battery box got mounted on the hitch. Still trying to think of a good way to make them theft proof.
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kevinscamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 3:11pm

Stove range Vent.

This is a mod I have not seen anybody else do yet, but is surprisingly easy and quick to do.  I quickly tired of opening the window and running the fantastic fan while cooking breakfast.  Nothing worse than freezing my butt off while cooking the pancakes!!!

I moved the stove back against the wall and eliminated the dead space behind it, added a range vent that vents into the refrigerator vent space and added some prep space in front of the stove.  It took all of 6 hours from start to finish including making the custom cutting the board.  I will be adding a piece of stainless steel backsplash to protect the wall.   I will probably just glue it to the luan, though in theory I should put in some spacers so it is not touching the wall.

Process:

Drill a hole in the wall with 4.25" hole saw cut in 1/2 piece of plywood, mark hole,
drill hole
slip in 4" louvered dryer vent, cut off extra part that goes through hole
staple plywood to camper from inside
screw vent to plywood.
insulate the refrigerator compartment when you realize it is only seperated from the inside of camper by 3/16" luan!!

Buy Heng industries 20" stainless steel rear vented rv 12V hood.
Modify to vent downwards using HVAC boot, small piece of metal, and some tape.
Use 4" elbow to direct out of the vent.
Take off the puck light and wire to the fan.

Moving the stove is even easier:

Just remove cover, undo 4 holes, remove stove (undoing the gas flare joint makes this easier, though not strickly necessary)

cut new hole by measuring old by drilling four corners and using a jigsaw,
bend the flexible copper pipe a little bit, plunk stove in new hole
screw in stove, test gas if you disconnected with some soapy water.
cover old hole.

All Done!!

notes: If you like to use plug in appliances, move vent a few inches further over from where I placed so you can get at the outlet.

Also I am venting into the refrigerator space, which is NOT going to pass code, but I could not come up with a use case that would cause problems, especially since the vent is louvered.  You could easily vent right through the wall and it would work better with more airflow.  I have had problems with dust getting into my old camper through the vents on rough Utah roads despite the louver, so I decided on the refrigerator compartment.  

https://postimg.cc/f3fJXvfr

https://postimg.cc/gallery/iv7gvnjm/
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
I love the hood concept. I ask last year and the best was RR vent on hi and shower cap on the dector. I have an importquestions. Do you have an outside shower? How did you locate a clear sport to cut the opening for the exhaust.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kevinscamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
I put the vent in the refrigerator. I do have the outdoor shower, but that doesn’t interfere in the least.

https://postimg.cc/G8MtghNP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 52>