R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Puckett435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:21pm
I have a 2017 R-Pod 180 that has one of the small refrigerators and I would like to upgrade it to one that is bigger, like what they are putting in some of the newer 195/196s. I was wondering if anyone here has done that mod.

CheriSmile
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Puckett435

I have a 2017 R-Pod 180 that has one of the small refrigerators and I would like to upgrade it to one that is bigger, like what they are putting in some of the newer 195/196s. I was wondering if anyone here has done that mod.

CheriSmile

Hello Cheri and welcome!
Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to replace the refrigerator. The space is limited. I'm not 100% sure about the 180, but isn't the refrigerator in the slide-out? It would not be possible to raise the exhaust vent higher. In the 179, the convection/microwave is above the refrigerator. I guess one could eliminate that and put a larger refrigerator in, but making sure it is properly vented would likely be an issue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 6:16am
The other, much simpler option is to either get a high quality cooler or a good 12Vdc (compressor, not thermoelectric) fridge and locate it either in the TV or under the table. And, you can keep your beverages in it and place it outside during the day. We find that if we don't fill up the Dometic with beverages than there is plenty of room in it for a week's worth of food for two.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:10am
I agree with Offgrid-we use a high quality cooler for most liquids and vegetables. leaving plenty of refrigerator space . Freeze half gallon jugs and put one in each end of the cooler and with careful usge they will last 5-6 days. I also made an insulated cover for the cooler which helps.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:45am
We got a Lifetime ice chest at Wally World for about $95, that is comparable to the high end ones, such as Yeti.  With ice in repurposed Costco nut and candy plastic containers, we've been able to keep drinks and such cold for a week.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Puckett435

CheriSmile

As far as I've seen most all of us have a cabinet over the Frig (wether space or microwave). If you can do without that space (or Microwave) you have a shot at it. With some effort and a jigsaw, you can open up enough. I don't recall the exact model, yet Dometic does make a larger that fits. 

I looked into this and really thought I would do it. Have to say... really glad I didn't..

It came down to, I won't have a frig large enough to do 'everything' I hope for. AND that space (no microwave here) is important storage (eye level) space. 

The Frig is big enough to get 'us' beyond the point of replenishing the 'fresh' stuff (greens only last so long, aye). 
The Freezer, I almost want to remove... yet we do use it (as small as it is..). 

We do  run a separate cooler as well. That in my mind, is the way to go. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:07pm

I made a built in cooler under the dinette bench. We put two 4 litre containers of ice in a tub, the ice lasts 8 to 10 days pending on outside temp

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:57am
Nice job as usual!
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
That is very cool!  

If you don't mind me asking, what styrofoam did you use?  Did you have to "seal" the surface of the foam?  And did you put a drain in it or do you just wipe it out when you're done?

Sorry for firing the questions, but I definitely see a mod in my future? :-)
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:02pm
I used the blue Styrofoam ( R 8 ) then covered it with laminate siliconed the corners. No drain we put the ice in a tub and what ever is wet we wipe it up
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 52>