R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Done Any Mods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 52>
Poll Question: Have you done any mods to your R-Pod?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
683 [81.41%]
10 [1.19%]
134 [15.97%]
10 [1.19%]
2 [0.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Done Any Mods?
    Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:35am
Even better, you can afford all the big-boy toys you now want.  Cool
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 1:05pm
Glad you two are having fun/anticipation. Smile 
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:35pm
I got a Winter idea, will take the pod, find the center of gravity, put a pair of Piper Warrior pa-151 tapered wings on, trim tab on the back of the pod and pull it with a Piper 235 Horse Dakota, I think I could get 140 knots out of it at 14 gallons per hour, that might be cheaper than pulling it with my Trailblazer, it does 13 or so mpg. what do ya think ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:11pm
Or do like the Top Gear guys did and hang it from a balloon with a pusher prop on the back.  Big smile
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 3:28pm
What we did

Inside:
* Oxygenics Showerhead
* 3M hook inside shower for fog-free shaving mirror. 
* 3M hooks on both sides of pod-door to hold a privacy curtain in front of the door in case someone is in the process of changing/getting in and out of the shower
* Large 3M hooks between the bunk and the door for hanging coats
* 3M hooks on wall over thermostat for toiletry bag 
* Over the door towel rack for towels
* LED puck light over sink, in upper cabinet, microwave cubby, pot cabinet, outside-access storage area.
* Hung shallow plastic baskets over the top of the pod-door to hold cell phone, keys, headlamps etc.
* Hung whiteboard on side of cabinet by the door.
* Removed TV/DVD combo unit. 
* Added removable brass rail on top of microwave cabinet.
* Removed nightstand to enlarge dinette bed so we could both sleep on it plus the dog (long story)

Outside:
* Added level on driver's side front and front of the pod.
* Added bike rack to back-pod hitch that can be moved to the car.
* Spare tire removed and put under dinette.

Planning to do:
* Loosen top bunk and hinge to make lower bunk accessible.
* Section lower bunk into thirds for storage.
* Lower bunk section closest to door will have shallow rubbermaid to hold shoes.
* Other 2 sections for storage of camp table & clothes bag.
* LED ribbon lighting in cabinet and above microwave cubby for glare-free light.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
greynomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote greynomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:28am
First off was the replacement of the cushion material in my 2013 177 RPOD. Next is the replacement of the "Queen" size bed that is terrible as there is no support at all.  I've had Forrest River products before so this cheapness does not surprise me.Angry
tturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:34am

Removed the following:

• TV/DVD Combo - a MacBook Pro on the counter will work just fine
  • air mattress - will keep it at home in case extra guests we don't like come over
  • convection / microwave oven
  • corner dinette cushions  - we leave the bed up on the dinette side and move the bedding to the tent side if we want to use the table and just roll up the memory foam (great exercise in close contact communication, coordination and cooperation along with two doxies under foot :)

What we did so far:

• Put a 2 x 4 under the couch
  • Added risers (better clearance / drainage)
  • Replaced only half the lights with LEDs as they are not as bright or warm
  • Added an access hole to the hot water tank access
  • Added $69 Walmart microwave 
  • Installed removable and easy to clean rubberized carpet tiles
  • Memory foam cover for bed / dinette cushions
  • Bring along a portable heater instead of using the furnace (egads that thing is loud)

Want to add (the list grows every time we go out):

• Room darkening covers and curtains instead of blinds (looking for ideas)
  • Gauge for the propane tank (?)
  • Better installed sound system
  • Hinged side tables that go up beside the couch for extra table space
  • More foam for the bed *I think there's a pea stuck under my side Tongue

Tess&Brad | 173-T | 07 Hyundai Santa Fe |
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:27am
Several of us have swapped the miniblinds for curtains.  I designed mine to be completely black by adding black vinyl between the inner and outer layers (had them custom made).

Don't bother with pressure-related tank gauges, they are useless.  The way a propane tank works, the pressure stays nearly constant until it hits that bottom shoulder, when it is too late to do much good.  Best way IMO is the "hot water method".  Take a cup of hot water and slowly pour it down the side of the tank from the top shoulder.  Wait 10 seconds and then feel from the top down, the tank will go from warm to cold right where the fuel line is.

I'm curious why you removed the factory microwave but then added a new microwave?
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Don't bother with pressure-related tank gauges, they are useless.  The way a propane tank works, the pressure stays nearly constant until it hits that bottom shoulder, when it is too late to do much good ....

In the old days, when people owned their tanks and got them refilled, I had a CHEAP stick on strip that changed color (due to temp) to show level .... Here's a link to a magnetic version I found .... I'll order when I get enough things for free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Check-Gas-Level-Indicator/dp/B000FHZ33C For $6 it's worth a try.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
poder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:39pm
some cabinets have been added in the back and over the microwave. a shelf in the front above the sink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 52>