R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2018 179 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 179 questions
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:47pm
Hi. We are thinking of replacing our 2015 179 for the 2018 179. Have a few questions I'm looking for answers too. We have had a lot of trouble with the panel below the fringe falling off. Always having to push the wires back under the panel. Has FR addressed this problem?
With the new larger tv, have they changed the mount so it can be tilted?
Has FR upgraded the tv antenna so it can be turned? Terrible fixed antenna on our 2015 179
Has FR added a 2nd shelf in the top of the pantry? Would be nice upgrade
Are there still separate drains for toilet and gray water? Would be great to drain both from only one valve

Thanks, phil
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:15pm
We almost bought a new 179, but found a slightly used 2015 for a lot less! I was not aware the antenna was fixed, I assumed it could be rotated. I will have to look at this when we pick it up. The 2018 does have a new boomerang antenna which is now located near the door and can be rotated.
The TV mount did not appear to have a tilt feature, and I do not remember a shelf in the upper pantry on the new models. They do still have the separate drains.
I do like the new cooktop in the new units and the propane tap though, as well as the awning option.
Thanks for pointing out the fridge panel, I will have to take a look at that.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Pmorris1

Hi. We are thinking of replacing our 2015 179 for the 2018 179. Have a few questions I'm looking for answers too. We have had a lot of trouble with the panel below the fringe falling off. Always having to push the wires back under the panel. Has FR addressed this problem?
With the new larger tv, have they changed the mount so it can be tilted?
Has FR upgraded the tv antenna so it can be turned? Terrible fixed antenna on our 2015 179
Has FR added a 2nd shelf in the top of the pantry? Would be nice upgrade
Are there still separate drains for toilet and gray water? Would be great to drain both from only one valve

Thanks, phil

TV does not have a tilt mount, the antenna is a rotational antenna now, and there are no changes to the drain valves.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:33am
If you are handy, you can install a shelf yourself. I did. Just be careful to use anchors/screws less than 1" in length. Crown Bolt LLC Hollow Wall Anchors, #6-32 x 1" #00469, found at Home Depot, work well. You will need to remove the inside panels of the upper cabinet in order to mount the shelf (use the frame to support it). Then split the panel for the side that backs up the gauges and switches to cover the side. While it is open, you can use the opportunity to add a voltmeter and momentary switch so you can track battery condition better.

I am considering whether to change out the antenna myself. If so, I would make an opening to be able to reach the base to rotate it. It isn't a huge deal as we don't watch a lot anyway.

As for the panel, use some of the same anchors I mentioned above to put into the frame. Then the panel will have better support than just the screws into the frame. The anchors are much stronger than the aluminum frame alone. You may need some longer machine screws to allow for the thickness of the panel. You could use heavier anchors with longer screws. Just drill the larger hole for the anchor through the front of the frame and a smaller hole the size of the screw though the back so you don't weaken the frame too much. Some people have put piano hinges on the flap. I may do that one of these days if I can figure out how to make it double-hinged.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply