R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forest River Interview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forest River Interview
    Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 12:50pm
I was going to do a phone interview with Mr. Mike Dolowy of Forest River concerning the R-Pod.  It became apparent that he is a busy man.  Better him than me!Big smile

I sent him a list of 9 questions.  Below is listed the questions and answers:

Q: How did the name of R-Pod come about & by whom?
A: the name R-pod was created by our G. M. Kevin McArt...  the name has a lot to do with the shape and design of the trailer..  shaped like a pod.

Q:
Have the sales been up to expectations? Any surprises as far as sales goes?
A: sales have been better than expected...  there is quite a following and the forums have really helped..  thru the month of October, R-pod reached # 31 in retail sales by brand name nationally!!!

Q:
What is the most popular model?
A: our most popular model would be a toss up between the 171, 172, and 175...  that will probably change because of the new models that were introduced.

Q:
Any idea as to how many units have been sold or manufactured?
A: nationally, retail registrations are at 771 thru October... and I'm guessing there were a couple hundred more sold in Canada..  hard to say, no way to track registrations in Canada.

Q:
How are the Hybrids doing?
A: too early to tell...  we sold a bunch of them,  so the dealers have them in stock...  but, tents usually don't sell until the spring.

Q:
Any hints on options that may be coming out soon?
A: as of today, we don't have any plans to add any more options.

Q:
Does anyone from Forest River keep an eye on what modifications the owners are doing to
    their R-Pods?

A: actually, we do... we are probably on r-pod nation 2-3 times a week.

Q:
. Is there any chance that Forest River can offer any assistance or presence at the East Coast
      Rally in June?
A: is that the rally in Kentucky??   we were planning on attending that rally.

Q:
Have you seen the new copy cat MPG?  Any thoughts on that?
A: unfortunately, I did see the mpg.  what can you say??  heartland is notorious for copying other manufacturers products.  i did review their brochure and noticed they have no clue!!!   they say that they laminate their roof. impossible...  they say they have a dome awning option.. but don't have the rail for it..  their refer is only .3 cubic foot bigger...   the brochure says in one spot that they use an 11,000 BTU a/c and then in another column they use a 13,500 BTU a/c.. which is it??

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 6:59pm
  Terry, Great job ! You asked some great questions and Mr. Mike Dolowy of Forest River gave great answers. Doesn"t  look that good for Heartland at least with Forest Rivers opinion. Good to know they are in touch with the owners posts. I thought RPod would be higher in national sales by brand. Happy Camping    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 7:38pm
Interesting so Forest River is coming to the Round UP and they do read the forum.  

Would really like them to have a tech member to answer some of our questions, for you tech guys, then of course will benefit me when the techs post their mod.  Since they read this hopefully they will.

771 R-POD (US) out there, not counting CA's.  WOW we should be running into each other.

Good interview

LeeClap  

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 8:21pm
Glad to see he came through with the interview.  Thanks Terry for persevering!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pie_Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 9:05pm
Great interview, Terry.   I am excited that FR will be in Kentucky!

I like that they read the forums. I agree, it would be nice if someone would answer questions occasionally.

(please excuse and spelling or punctuation problems...we lost internet at the house so I can only post from my iPhone...hopefully we are back online by tomorrow or Wednesday)
~Cindy_CP
(Pod_Patrol's girl)
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 11:34pm
"Have you seen the new copy cat MPG?  Any thoughts on that?
A: unfortunately, I did see the mpg.  what can you say??  heartland is notorious for copying other manufacturers products.  i did review their brochure and noticed they have no clue!!!   they say that they laminate their roof. impossible...  they say they have a dome awning option.. but don't have the rail for it..  their refer is only .3 cubic foot bigger...   the brochure says in one spot that they use an 11,000 BTU a/c and then in another column they use a 13,500 BTU a/c.. which is it??"

I read this and kind of chuckle.  lets see the rpod brochure where they talk about the Goodyear tires and no longer having them, or the changes made mid year.  they are just starting to roll out of the factory this month.  Maybe their dome comes with the rail when you get the option or they fasten some other way.  The dealers that saw them at the show are very pleased with them as are the reviews out there so far.  Yes design intent and actual delivery may be a bit different.
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 11:47pm
Very Interesting FR going to the Kentucky round up and now it's a couple of FR employees are going.

Everyone seems so excite?Cry  Are they R-Pod owners or are they FR spy'sOuch.  

Maybe just a little sour grapesDead, but other than creating my Podterfly FR have not done anything for me.  I have what I would call an early 2010 model r-172 made in June which did not come front stabilizers (which it really needs should be a safety issue), and i use two 3 ton jack stands.   Of course this was a big topic in the earlier part of the year, and by fall the new 172 came with front stabilizers.   No retro fix or discount on stabilizers from FR.

Many people have made great mods, and posted them on the Forum for FR to see and now they are coming to the roundup to see in person not as FR, but as fellow podders?  Seems a little fishing to me.  

Can we sue them, for stealing our ideas, probably more trouble then it's worth. Anyway there a reason I posting this here and not on the other forum.

Everyone seems so excite?Cry IMHO why?

LeeClap

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 4:51am
If they can get some good ideas from the owners that would be great.  It would help improve the Pod, and who knows maybe some people will trade in for a new one in a couple of years. 

I have been to other gatherings where the company (manufacturer) came and did free repairs and brought new units with them for people to see.  That would be nice if they did that.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Podpatrol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 1:13pm
With so many Pods scheduled to be at the ER in June, don't be surprised
if a FR presence is for marketing. Perhaps not.
Like I mentioned @ the other forum, why would they be interested in improving
the Pod when the owners do that themselves ?
Perhaps some "safety" issues may find their way into production,
like the LP tank retainer, perhaps a better regulator, but Im just guessing here.
I believe that the Lightweight TT market is just now catching steam,
and as we all know, no manufacturer can justify giving the customer more
than what they need. With the Pod, I was impressed with the holding tanks
and the Slide option. Other than it being light and inexpensive, it's not a
revolutionary thing, as noted with earlier models of the TearDrop style.
The Pod isn't a Full-Time unit. I believe it's intended purpose is more geared
toward the Week-End Warrior get-a-ways.
For the price it's nice !!! Plus you can tow with smaller vehicles.
For Example .... Honda found out that most of the people/families that owned
Hondas also owned a truck, large or small. The Pod fills a gap of wanna be
RVers, as an entry level TT.
Of course this is just my opinion.
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 4:38pm
I don't know if I'm excited if they will be there or not.  I'm sure they are watching this site as well as the other one.  If they come and bring suggestions and ideas, that would be great, or even the newer models would be nice too.  I agree it could be a PR thing for those who may wish to upgrade.  Improvements are always a good thing.  We have one of the earlier 172's and got a good price.  The more popular they become the more in demand they become too, which in most cases raises the price up.  That can only be to our benefit for resales.  

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>