R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedshower walls bubbling, ripped caulking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: shower walls bubbling, ripped caulking
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
We are shopping for rpods, at a dealer looking at new 2018, three models all have bubbling and split caulking in the shower room...worried about quality
"Sometimes you have to pee in the sink."
Charles Bukowski
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:56pm
A few things could have caused it, none of them terminal or permanent. But only you can decide if it's a deal breaker.
rkreeves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:35pm
"worried about quality"

We purchased a 2017.5 179 a few months ago. I am basically appalled with both the build quality as well as the lack of forward thinking.

Now I shall rant (I have $18,900 worth of ranting to do): A television that draws only 20 watts but will not run off the battery? Really? An axle so under engineered for the trailer I have to choose between hauling gear or filling my water tank, but not both? Really? Ottomans screwed down to the floor completely askew? Construction debris filling all the nooks and crannies? Uninsulated electrical connections in close proximity to each other falling off their terminals after the first 4 hours on the road?

I could go on, and I shall at a later date,as the pod reveals it's horrible secrets, but suffice it to say: although I really really love our Rpod I will NEVER buy another product from Forest River.

Best, Richard
2017.5 RPOD 179
2017 Tacoma 6,400# tow limit
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:20pm
Sounds like you got the Friday afternoon 'Pod. My condolences. However, why do you think you can't both haul your gear and take water? The axle is not THAT weak. You do have to be selective in how much stuff you take. It is only a small space after all. Even with a full water tank, you should still have over 400 lbs of cargo capacity remaining. The really heavy stuff can go in your Tacoma. We did two trips across the US from NC to AZ and back plus trips up to NY and VT loaded and most of the time with a full tank of water (at least to start). We had no problems with the axle.

I agree that fit and finish leaves something to be desired. I had a bunch of issues myself. However, I just fixed the small stuff myself and did some modifications in the process. The TV is a peeve. Why put a 110V model in when a 12V model would have made much more sense? I bought a small inverter to power it as that cost less than buying a 12V TV.

I think if you find Forest River products unacceptable, you would find much of the competition equally unacceptable. I did not want to pay $40,000 or more for a trailer. I did not expect an Airstream for the price I paid.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 12:39am
Sorry you have had so many obstacles.  Attention to detail is a concept lost on most trailers, including my little RPod.  My neighbor has a 60,000 5th wheel and its trim falls off too.   A little bit of glue would go a long way.  However, on the bright side.  I fit into every camping spot.  Its really light weight.  The community is very strong and I like that.  The RPod is the lightest, nicest, and biggest trailer I could find.  I love mine, even though it leaves a lot to be desired regarding fit and finish.  

This weekend I am rebuilding my seats because the factory forgot some parts, but while I am in there, I am adding some USB ports.  I would buy another.  If I could tow more than 3500 lbs, I would buy something nicer, but it would cost 30K and be too heavy for my Jeep.

Derek
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 8:51am
From the little experience I've had with travel trailers, none of them seem to be very well built.  They necessarily use light and flimsy materials which always leads to things falling apart.  But weight is their bane and if they used stronger stuff, the trailer would be much more costly and/or heavier.  As for electrical and plumbing quality, there is no excuse for lousy workmanship except that they are pushing for fast assembly and that inherently leads to errors.  I doubt any of the manufacturers pay very well, so pride of workmanship is also wanting.  

The wiring quality reminds me of cars built in Detroit before the Japanese manufacturers started competing in the US.  They get away with it because they all do it and no one seems to care.  If a company followed a Japanese car model for electric components (and plumbing too), we'd probably see neatly tucked wiring harnesses and such instead of the rats' nests that are commonly found.  But the wiring harnesses are costly to manufacture in a low volume environment, so they're no likely to use them because it will push up their price points.

The aluminum frame is a good trend and much stronger than the old stick, glue and staple systems still found on many TT's.  Now they need to figure out how to cheaply and efficiently build the cross framing in aluminum.  

Bottom line, TT's will always be a little flimsy and prone to breakage.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by rkreeves

"worried about quality"

We purchased a 2017.5 179 a few months ago. I am basically appalled with both the build quality as well as the lack of forward thinking.

Now I shall rant (I have $18,900 worth of ranting to do): A television that draws only 20 watts but will not run off the battery? Really? An axle so under engineered for the trailer I have to choose between hauling gear or filling my water tank, but not both? Really? Ottomans screwed down to the floor completely askew? Construction debris filling all the nooks and crannies? Uninsulated electrical connections in close proximity to each other falling off their terminals after the first 4 hours on the road?

I could go on, and I shall at a later date,as the pod reveals it's horrible secrets, but suffice it to say: although I really really love our Rpod I will NEVER buy another product from Forest River.

Best, Richard

You bought your pod without looking at it or researching capacities?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Javakid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
Dealer tech is trimming, reseating and resealing the shower insert; they checked multiple new 2018 units, all have the same issue; insert too tall for the space-FR has been notified by written dealer notification.
Charles Bukowski
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 4:21pm
Good, should be easy fix. Commenting on post I have owned numerous campers over time, everything from a "land Yacht" Airstream I towed with a Chevy 3500 454, a Class C Motorhome w/tow behind vehicle, a real Teardrop and a Pod. Every one of them kept me busy fixing things. Like the old saying about boats (owned them too:)) A hole in the water you pour money into. All the systems and building materials, many things that can and do fail. Am not advocating being critical of taking delivery of a new unit and finding many issues and no resolve from a dealer. Just saying as long as you own an RV you will have a project.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Javakid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:15am
Having realistic expectations is healthy.
Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>