Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYamaha EF2000 Noise Rating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha EF2000 Noise Rating
    Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 3:13pm

The Yamaha EF2000 generator is rated (according to Yamaha) at 61 db when under full load. The Honda EU2000 is rated at 59 db at 7 meters when under full load.

I have been in contact with Yamaha as well as a dealer that sells them, and apparently no one outside of Japan knows the distance at which the noise level was measured.

Has anyone come across this information?
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm
I believe that 7m is the standard distance for Yamaha.

Here are two ads for the EF2000 - both state @7m:
http://nanaimo.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-YAMAHA-EF-2000-iS-GENERATOR-INVERTER-MODEL-W0QQAdIdZ174935096

http://www.usedpqb.com/classified-ad/10841672

-edit-
I ran across a handy chart from Honda outlining the noise levels of their various generators (note: they're measured from 3m).

-edit again-
I ran across this even handier chart which compares noise levels from a wide assortment of generators.

Note: this chart measures the LWA, which uses a weighting factor to adjust dB for tonality (e.g. high-pitched sounds are more annoying and seem louder).
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 7:15pm
Cool charts.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 8:22pm
Hi Outbound,

Thanks for the information.

I have been unable to find a standard distance for measuring generator noise levels. I did read somewhere that the lack of a standard was a problem because without a standard, generator manufacturers tend to play games with their noise level claims. (I did find that the National Park Service sound level requirement - maximum allowable sound from a generator - is 60 dB(A) @ 50ft.)

I find the first chart you referenced to be confusing because it claims the EU2000 is rated at 59 db at 3 meters - not 59 db at 7 meters as listed on Honda's website.

I did not find either of the top candidates (Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000) listed in the second chart you referenced. Did I just miss them?

FYI: I did find out that a generator's noise level will be reduced by 6 db if you double the distance from the generator. This info makes it possible to compare readings taken at different distances - if the manufacturer states the distance as well as the db level.

Thanks,
Gene
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by gepaine

I find the first chart you referenced to be confusing because it claims the EU2000 is rated at 59 db at 3 meters - not 59 db at 7 meters as listed on Honda's website.

That chart is also from Honda's website.  I have no idea why there's a difference.  Here's a link to Honda's current generator brochure, which has all the current specs.

I did not find either of the top candidates (Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000) listed in the second chart you referenced. Did I just miss them

The Yamaha EF2000 is on there at 94 LwA.  The Honda EU2000 isn't on the list, but it is in the brochure that I linked above lists it at 89 LwA.

Personally, I think that either generator is an excellent choice.  But, being frugal, I have neither.  Mine is a Hyundai 1000si that I bought three years ago to top-up my trailer's battery while dry camping.

I've personally measured the sound level of my Hyundai at full load using a proper sound meter - its 58db at 8 feet.  I can easily have a conversation while standing over the generator.  A radio turned to a normal volume level drowns it out.  At a distance of about 300', I can't hear it at all.  But, frankly, I wish that it was quieter.  When I do use it, its solely to recharge the battery.  I run it for an hour at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon to minimize the annoyance to my fellow campers.

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 1:10pm
I've been looking at the Honeywell 2000i and it's reviews.  It's didn't seem to be listed in the charts.
Here are two links one to the specs and another to how to start generator.

I can get one though Military Exchange for $495.00 no shipping and no tax.

Any thoughts?

LeeClap
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 6:51pm
Pros:

Cheap

Cons:

Cheaply built according to some owner reviews I have read.
Hard to start, again, according to some owner reviews I have read.
MUCH louder than the Honda or Yamaha - at least 2 to 3 times as loud according to a noise spec I saw before but can't find now.
Weighs 58 pounds versus 47 for the Honda.

I think your choice is between quality or price. (Sometimes price is not a bad thing to go with.)
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:12pm
According to the "specs" tab, the Honeywell HW2000i's noise level is 65db @7m (23 feet).  Up close, it would be louder than a vacuum cleaner...
 Post Reply Post Reply