R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane function of fridge not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane function of fridge not working
    Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 1:05am
Hello Podders
We have a 2016 179. We are on an extended trip to Alaska and back. The propane option of the fridge has stopped working. We have gas and the stover and heater work . When i take off the outside access panel we have flame and the unit is getting hot like normal. The fridge works great on shore power and battery but moment we switch to propane function, no go..there are no warning signals being sent by the fridge control panel.we may just wave to wait till we get home in three weeks to get it checkex out and we do have a cooler we are utilizing while dry camping. Is there a simple solution i should look at regarding a fix?

Thanks Podds
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:36am
Interesting post as you say there are no control panel indications. I have add lighting issues with fridge after not using propane for some time, but the control panel always tells me it is failing to light after required attempts. Also you said it is lighting, so there is no reason for control panel to say it's not.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:57am
I had a similar problem caused by me not holding the 'start' button down long enuf and in the right sequence. 

Probably not your problem, I seem to be able to screw the simplest thing up, but ... The manual has the step-by-step sequence.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:51pm
You mentioned that you have a flame. If so, the problem may be that the flame is restricted and not hot enough. We had a similar problem which was caused by insects fouling the burner. Spiders are a chief culprit. Before you delve into complicated solutions, try blowing out the burner.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
troutpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:19pm
Okay..so how does one blow out the burner? Also to add to the plot, my wife says that hot water heater is not getting the water as hot either.....
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by troutpodder

Okay..so how does one blow out the burner? Also to add to the plot, my wife says that hot water heater is not getting the water as hot either.....

Turn the fridge off or set it to 120v to blow out the flame.  Off would be best to fool around with it.

If you aren't getting hot water either though maybe you're out of propane.  There might have been enough left for flicker of a flame on the fridge but not enough to really function.  If you aren't out of propane, I've heard of people forgetting to turn the propane on at the tank before....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by troutpodder

Preferably with the refrigerator off or set to electric, remove the screw that holds the burner to the chimney. Pull the burner assembly away from the chimney.
Inspect the burner. Do the little slots look clear? if not, then carefully use two wrenches (larger and smaller) to remove the burner from the gas pipe. Be careful as the burner orifice is only a small piece of thin metal with a tiny hole in the middle. You can use rubbing alcohol to clean the orifice. Do not stick pins, etc. through the orifice or you may damage it.
While the burner is apart, use a compressor or canned air to blow any dirt/insect residue/other obstructions out of the burner. Then carefully reassemble it. Reattach it to the chimney.

However, if you are also having problems with hot water, you may have another problem. We had a gas hose go bad with symptoms of very low flow, especially when the furnace kicked on. The internal valve in the hose had stuck and was not allowing free flow of gas. Before I figured that out, I had bought a new regulator, thinking it was the regulator that had gone bad. I'm still using my original regulator, but have the replacement as a spare. I am not saying this is your problem, just that it is a possibility. You may need to get your propane system checked to make sure the proper pressure is being supplied.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply