R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPublic Vs. Private Owner Campgrounds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Public Vs. Private Owner Campgrounds?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:16am
Tars Tarkas - Thanks for the FYI.  Being that we live pretty close to Cataloochee we go to check out the elk every know and then.  I end up biting my nails every time we drive there Star and would never attempt to pull our trailer on those "roads".
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Sandy Musher

Tars Tarkas - Thanks for the FYI.  Being that we live pretty close to Cataloochee we go to check out the elk every know and then.  I end up biting my nails every time we drive there Star and would never attempt to pull our trailer on those "roads".

Probably because I grew up where roads like that are pretty common, the High Sierras were 30 minutes from home, and we were there all the time..

The road in to Cataloochee is no big deal to me.. Wink

I think it's been reservation only for a while. They have a sign, just before you "drop in" to the park that tells you, and gives instructions. The few times we have been there, no more then 10-15% of the sites were taken.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:01pm
I actually like both roads to Cataloochee, but I don't take the one to or from Cosby too often.  The road in from the east is a great ride too, but not one I'd be delighted to tow the rpod on.  Especially if I thought I was going to camp at Cataloochee and found out I couldn't.

Surely they'd let you in if the campground was open and not full, but I don't know.  If I knew there were no knuckleheads coming the other way it would be tolerable, but still not delightful. 

It's a long way back out if you get there and you can't stay too.

For a fairly isolated campground I much prefer Balsam Mountain anyway, but we almost always go to Cataloochee every time we're in the Smokies, several times a year.

We've never stayed a Big Creek.  We've been up there and it's on my list to explore more someday.  If you like that side of the Park and some fairly serious isolation, I think it would be a good one.  We tend to prefer places like Smokemont where it's relatively centrally located with access to restaurants etc.

As long as I'm rambling, we very much prefer the NC side of the Park.  G'burg and Pigeon Forge are not our kind of destinations.  I have a long history with Elkmont and a special love for it, but Cherokee, Sylva, Bryson City, the BRP, Fontana Lake, the Nantahala, Heintooga Rd, and the stark differences between Cataloochee and Cades Cove versus amusement parks and pancake restaurants on the TN side make it an easy choice for us.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:42pm
On the TN side we are about 90% all time stays at Cades Cove, or there in Townsend. We have stayed in PF one time.

And I agree, I would never drop into Cataloochee without reservations..

Tars, have you ever stayed at the Indian CG just before Balsam Mountain?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by furpod

Tars, have you ever stayed at the Indian CG just before Balsam Mountain?

No, but there is a back road that ends on the inside of that CG that I take pretty often with my FJ Cruiser, so I drive through it from time to time.  There are some beautiful sites in there and I've never seen it particularly crowded.  It seems somewhat dispersed anyway.  I have no idea how well it's run or what amenities they may have.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:48am
Flush toilets, hot showers, water points. That's it.. But it's high enough you wouldn't need a/c, and near as we could tell, nearly every site is secluded and has views over the tops of the Smokies.. Hosts seemed very nice when we stopped and talked to them a last year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12