R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsetting up with shore power only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: setting up with shore power only
    Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 3:59pm
+1 - not a fan of propane and traveling. You should never refuel with a propane appliance running.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

To each his own, as they say. However, our TV has a 110 amp alternator, and automatically disconnects the power after ignition off. I would never be comfortable running the propane while traveling, even though a lot of people say otherwise. In fact, we keep the propane valve closed while on the road. We have both seen a few "propane incidents", and it's just something we are aware of. Perhaps the probability of an incident are low, but the issue of running down an R-pod battery seems less risky to us.

Your tow vehicle might have plenty of alternator, but have you looked at what gauge wire is running from there to your 7-pin trailer plug?  I can almost guarantee you it's insufficient to power the fridge and charge the battery (most aren't enough to even run the fridge, so battery is drawn down while towing).  I'm not sure which vehicle in your sig you tow with, but I know the Tacoma doesn't have the wiring to handle this (I had a 2nd gen and looked into it).  I have no personal knowledge of the Ford
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 3:07pm
We've never actually towed the R-pod with the Tacoma. Pretty sure it could handle it, but we just don't. In spite of the larger size, the F-150 is actually more fuel efficient and comfortable. Charging the battery and running the fridge has not been an issue.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:07pm
Not a TACOMA owner, but agree that you need to check the wiring and ensure your TV has capability to run a trailer with AUX battery. Both my GM products do, I do know not all vehicles come capable. I just explained to a 2013 Ford owner he needed a relay and a fuse, and in my case my 2006 Silverado needed a fuse. Interestingly the Ford fuse was a 30A and the GM fuse was a 40A. Do I see effects of using the 7 pin to feed trailer battery - YES- Is it negative - NO. Actually was designed and installed to do that. To me it is part of a real tow package. 2 cents.
Mike Carter
2015 178
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:34pm
Most trailer refers I've seen are "2 way", meaning propane or 110v . I thought it was neat that the Rpod came with the 3 way fridge until i killed the battery when I accidentally left it on 12v all night. and then I found out that even though i have a F150 with tow package and a 165 amp alternator it wouldn't charge the battery while driving with the fridge on, It would only keep it even. Running on propane each tank would last months, It's very efficient, Now I never use the 12v option for the fridge. And only would if I ran out of propane while dry camping while I go get them filled (or the whole border/tunnel thing). And I do always shut the valve while filling with gas and then just turn it back on again. But with 2 tanks I always have a full tank just sitting there.  
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm
Right back to each their own.
Mike Carter
2015 178
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 5:53pm
Wish I knew how much power the fridge uses on 12V. I know the converter/charger can pull as much as 55 amps. However, the converter/charger won't be running while towing. 

So the issue is what the fridge needs, plus whatever the batteries suck from the TV. I'm pretty sure ours can't go above 30 amps or so, but that should be plenty.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 8:17pm
The idea of being able to run the fridge on 12v power is great, but it's too often too theoretical.  If it works for you that's great.  I wish it worked on a more practical level, but the fact is it can run a battery down quickly unless one knows what they are doing or is lucky.

It's interesting how divisive  this issue is.  I certainly believe we all ought to do what we feel safe and comfortable with.  Personally, it seems to me that running the fridge on propane while traveling is probably safer than traveling.  There have been infinitely more stories on this forum about wrecked trailers than about propane explosions, by my recollection anyway.  I don't recall any posts about explosions or fires caused by running a fridge on 12v either though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12