R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDecals Peeling Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decals Peeling Off
    Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:28am
Hi, our 6 year old Pod has much of the decal material peeling off and leaving a residue of the adhesive on the surface of the Pod. Any ideas on how to remove them without damaging the surface?
Thanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:42am
Blow dryer or heat gun, go slow and easy.. when new, a sunny day will do it, but after 6 years.. will need some help. Then clean the residue with goo gone, and finally hit it with a good cleaner wax which will remove most of the shadowing.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:11pm
WD 40 or goo gone, once decaled is removed either will take of adhesive. I like blow dryers, because the heat is controlled, I have a heat gun that will blister paint. Elbow grease and patience.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:45pm
I have the opposite problem. The decal on my 2016 R-pod is coming off just barely around the edges, only on the front. I'm thinking of cleaning it good then using epoxy carefully to glue it back down. Any suggestions?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:41pm
Never tried that henry. I applaud your tenacity. End of the day I don't think it will work, may be a temp solution. Try it and see how it works, and if it doesn't replace the decals if you want them.
Mike Carter
2015 178
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:02pm
We took off all the swirly stickers from our 2009 172.  It looks a lot better just plain white.  Most of the stickers were peeling at the edges and some were much worse.  I used a heat gun and a razor window cleaner to peel them as I heated the glue.  Some came off very well, while others left a lot of glue. 

I tired Goo Gone Pro-Power and it seemed to work after spraying, letting it sit, then going at it with the razor scraper.  I washed it to get the Goo Gone off and all seemed well.  But a while later in the NV heat and dust, I noticed that the glue was still there in many places and it was retaining an nice layer of Comstock mine dust on the sticky parts.  

I guess I'll give it another pass with Goo Gone in when the season ends and will try buffing it off with fiberglass cleaner after washing off the Goo Gone.  Personally, I wish they'd leave the stickers off if they can't get them to permanently stick.  They aren't all that attractive anyway.  

Maybe FR should try some price tag glue.  I can't recall how many products I've ended up defacing because I couldn't get the price tag off, especially when it's posted over critical information about safe use. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:37pm
The glue is the hardest part of removal. I use WD40 and a plastic scraper, the razor scrapers can cause a "dig issue". All about elbow grease.
Mike Carter
2015 178
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 11:33am
I've decided to just let it be. So much for tenacity mcarter, but thanks for for the information I could eventually replace them. Or do like lostagain and just remove them. I don't want to use a glue which could just make it harder down the road. It just seems like a 2016 should not be pealing already.Anybody know if a waranty covers it? By the way, I have been trying to contact the dealer where it came from for other parts, but they don't get back to me.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 1:41pm
Mike, I tried the plastic scraper route and it didn't work.  I saturated the glue with Goo Gone waited several minutes, then attacked it with the plastic scraper and it just slid over the top of the glue.  I even tried using abrasive fiber, like Scotch Pads (green), and it took a little off, but I realized it was going to take a very, very long time.  I resorted to the razor scraper as a last resort and realize that if you are not very careful, you can gouge the gelcoat of the fiberglass.  All you can do in that regard is be very careful.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 3:53pm
Lostagain, can't argue. and I agree you have to be careful with razor scraper, just removed an ugly decal from door and resorted to same method as you.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>