R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowinng with a full tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towinng with a full tank?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 4:41pm
Hello all,

I am a very new Pod owner, had a PUP for years and decided to upgrade. I know with the PUP I could not pull it with a tank of fresh water. Can I pull the Pod with a full tank? Not going to do it often but I'm heading out next week to break her in on a short trip and the place I go, is dry (state camp ground). your feedback would be appreciated.
K&Jbrown
2015 Ford F-150 5.0L
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 4:51pm
Sure you will get many opinions. I have a 178, so the FW tanks are at the aft most point and weigh over 300 lbs full. I personally can think of things that I would rather tow that weigh 300 lbs. My POD is effected by sway, if not otherwise corrected when FW tank is full. Adding 300 lbs decreases tongue weight. Others with different locations of the FW tank will see different results. Happy Trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 5:13pm
I've got a 180 and the fresh water tank is way forward (4') of the pods axle. I also tow with an F150 and tow with a full tank to drycamp, and have noticed no difference full or empty. Im sure there is more weight on the hitch but the truck feels the same.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

K&Jbrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
thank you!!! Cant wait to get rolling. 
K&Jbrown
2015 Ford F-150 5.0L
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:26pm
[QUOTE=voisj]I've got a 180 and the fresh water tank is way forward (4') of the pods axle. I also tow with an F150 and tow with a full tank to drycamp, and have noticed no difference full or empty. Im sure there is more weight on the hitch but the truck feels the same.

On our 177 the tank is behind the axle and since we normally dry camp we leave home with a tank full of our delicious well water, if only going for a 2 day weekend trip we only bring 10 gallons with us.  Either way, like vois, we notice no difference towing whether the tank is full or nearly empty with our Explorer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
On our 179, the freshwater tank is also far forward of the axle. We've towed with a full tank and had no issues either. Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Toyota Highlander with E2 hitch.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:22pm
We have a 172 with the FW tank just behind the axle.  Our water at home is very hard and leaves crud in faucets and tanks so I prefer to fill the water tank when I get to a Sierra camp ground with fresh snow runoff water.  I towed the trailer home last weekend with the tank nearly full on roads ranging from curvy steep mountain roads to freeways and it didn't feel any different from when we  were outbound with an empty tank.  We use a E2 WDH and I have to say it really makes the ride more comfortable.  

Next trip out, on this coming Saturday, we're leaving with the tank nearly full because the camp ground where we're going has a problem with contamination in the water system that they're trying to fix.  We'll just pay attention to keeping the load balanced.  But then, we tend to travel very light overall.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:07pm
Your Dacota is big enough that it probably doesn't notice the difference. One of the advantages of having a TV that is spec'ed well above what you actually need.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Kos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:31pm
I have a 178 and towing it with a Nissan X-terra. The FW placement in the back is very bad for towing. It makes a significant difference towing it with a full or empty FW tank. It tents much more to swaying at higher speed and needs a balanced load on the hitch. I mostly camp of grit and I have to tow often with full tank.
I bought this  unit this year and the placement of the tank and the fact it does have two pipes for emptying the black and gray tank made me almost regret my decision.

K&Jbrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:44am
I did go and tow with a 3/4 tank of water and it was not too much of an issue. the trailer did push me a round a tiny bit but overall it wasn't bad at all. Thanks for everyone's input. 
K&Jbrown
2015 Ford F-150 5.0L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>