R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrain fly for r-dome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rain fly for r-dome
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 8:34am
I like the r-dome but the last few years, flimsy material seems to have been used. At least, in mine, it rains as heavily inside as outside due to deterioration of the waterproofing. 

So, since I already have a 16X17 foot coated ripstop nylon tarp that I use as an awning, attaching to my 171 with sail slugs to the keder rail, I decided to rig it as a fly over the r-dome. The key is to use the grommet opposite the 'driver side' fender and sling a rope between them, I anchored it to the fender with a bungee cord (I'm beginning to really like bungee cords). Then, anchor the 4 corner grommets with ropes to appropriate attachments and it came thru a pretty heavy cloud burst without trouble, and with only a few drip spots from the supporting roof rods.

Note - The tarp is an 'ultralight' backpacking one, a heavier one would work, but I'd start worrying about weight with some cheaper nylon or polypropylene ones, let alone a canvas one!
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:42pm
Happy, I have a 171 but I don't understand what you're talking about. Could you possibly send pics?
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 4:33pm
Dang. Pics and me are bad news. If I'm not clear to you, I am sure I am not clear to a lot of other people, too.

A fly is just an additional layer of fabric between the top of the r-dome and the sky. 

It is anchored to the driver's side wheel fender to pull it tight across the top to minimize the gap with the top and side of the r-pod.

Then, the 4 corners of the fly are held tight by fastening ropes to available supports, like trees or stakes.

My 'fly' is a tarp with sail slugs that I usually use as a stand-alone awning when I don't put up the r-dome, using the pod's keder rail.

I regret very much that I'm not as clear as desired, but thanks for helping me to do a better job.
 Post Reply Post Reply