Topic ClosedShould we buy an Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kokopod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we buy an Rpod
    Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:49am
After a 52-day trip and having owned our Rpod for a year, we decided we needed a dry bath and a bed that we didn't need to crawl over each other to get out of. We settled on a 19 ft. Premier by Keystone. It weighed 4200 pounds, so our Durango V8 was definitely at its limit, but the difference in trailer was wonderful FOR US. Our son purchased our Rpod from us; and he and his wife, two children and black lab have owned it ever since and love it. My point is, for the two of us and our dog, the Pod wasn't for us, but for our son and his family it was perfect. He lives in Denver with limited parking space, and the Pod fits perfectly in his city, alley-access back yard - he couldn't even go a half foot bigger. Everyone has their reason for having their particular trailer/motorhome. Spend a good long time inside a Pod, and see how it compares to your Airstream.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:49am
Agree with all here, and Jato's advice is right on. Spend time inside each model you're considering. Also make a list and carry it with you, re: what attributes you must have and what you do not want. I use the "gotta have/gotta not have" approach with big decisions (and sometimes with small ones :-) Also, re the comments on fridge space (which I agree with) my perspective is skewed as a life camper and being somewhat restaurant-averse. But I would never ever go on a trip without an ice chest. Even if we were in a 40-foot mansion on wheels. The best systems can fail, and there's no replacing a good ice chest. Plus when you leave your trailer parked and go off hiking or sight-seeing or whatever, you have food with you and can replenish ice while not hauling a trailer to the mini mart or whatever. Let us know how you're research goes, and have fun with it  Smile
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:11am
Agree with Richard and Cindy. Coming from the Bambi you will miss the space with the smaller pods. Also, as ToolmanJohn said, stay with the Tacoma. Owners with 3500# class TVs are usually disappointed. Stick with 5000 or better. I like the Taco, but I admit a bias. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 5:28am
You won't be happy if you "downsize" from a Tacoma. Stay with a tow vehicle that has a minimum 5000 pound capacity for the traveling you want to do. If you want an SUV instead of the p/u truck, get one with a 5000+ tow capacity.

My former 177 was great for the 4 years of weekend trips I used it for, but it was also just me and my mountain biking stuff. I always found ways to take too much with me every time. If you already have spent 6 months living out of a small travel trailer, you have the experience to know what small travel trailers are like. Always check out the floor plans an do serious walk arounds to determine which Pod floorplan is right for you and your furry passenger.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:23pm
Have you considered Casita or Escape? Personally, I would go for Oliver over Airstream (or an rPod if I had the money).

I'm extremely happy with my rPod 178 and have traveled tens of thousands of miles with it, but it's not even close to an Oliver. Yes, the Oliver is a few wheel barrows full of cash more, but it shows.

If you are handy and can overlook or fix construction deficiencies, go for the rPod! You could get three or four for the price of your Bambi.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
I would rate the rpod quality as average in it's class, but no better. Airstream has a better reputation for quality, but you pay a premium for that. The rpod tows very well and is very compact. Probably only you can decide if it's right for your needs.
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:41pm
Hi!
We full time in a 2016 179 and like it a lot! Everything's working with no issues. A few interior issues like trim coming loose, but that's about it! Oh, and a problem with the cheap tires so we replaced them recently. Otherwise, smooth sailing! Having some thoughts of going a few feet longer though. There are now 3 cats traveling with us! Good luck!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:06pm
We have taken a few trips now with our 180 and love it but we are concerned about taking a several month trip across country with it.  We were limited in our selection due to the tow vehicle having 4500 lb max capacity.  So if you are taking short trips it may be perfect for you but some things to remember.  Although you are used to towing an 8 foot wide the RPOD is only 6.5 feet wide making it easier to see with a small TV.  But the wheelbase is still 8 feet.  So you are getting  a narrower rig.  Thus there is no walk around bed and no closets on the sides of the bed.  Also the refrigerator is very small with no separate freezer.  We cannot stock up on food and have to shop more often.  So if we had to do it again (and we may just upgrade in a couple years) we would purchase a slightly larger and heavier Coachmen Ultra Lite 192 RBS.  Its 1000 lbs heavier at 3852 but has everything for the long haul.  Our dealer who sells the RPOD, Surveyor and Coachmen (all Forest River) says the Coachmen's are coming into  dealership with no work needed and therefore better built than the other Forest River products.  But if really small is what you want, RPOD is the best under 3000 lb RV hands down.  Then you have to decide if you want bigger kitchen and more storage (179) or dry bath (180).  Probably those are the only two RPODS to choose from coming from an Airstream.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
Although not a popular model today we have thoroughly enjoyed our 177 going on year 7 now.  We have had a few minor issues over the years, mainly owner generated.  As Leo stated above, go to a dealer, check out the models available and set in each one for at least 30 to 60 minutes and take notes independently of each other, compare your likes/dislikes on each one, and make your decision to purchase/look elsewhere from there.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
+1 - PODs are my favorite after owning multiple RVs.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>