R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator - Event Date: 14 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generator
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by mcarter

I am not lazy but in tune. My Generac does what I want it to do, and I understand the limitations. So I am happy. I agree you can purchase bigger happy, but I chose not to do that, I chose a genset I can maneuver and meets my needs. Lot of products out there. Mine does what I need.

+1
There are lots of choices for folks to consider. If I were wanting to purchase a genset today, I would be looking for something smaller, maybe 1000 watts. 99.9% of the time, I just use mine for battery charging.

Yes, the link posted does not work.
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Capt Kidd

I have a 179 and the Honda 2000 wouldn't run the AC so I bought a Yamaha 2400 which will./  I paid $1295 plus tax and am very happy with it.

A few people have discovered that if they turn off the converter or disconnect the battery, a Honda 2000 will run their AC. I haven't tested it myself.
Mtn Ascender View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:51pm
I'll do it the old fashioned way.

http://apelectric.com/westinghouse-igen2500-2200w-portable-inverter-generator/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIO1-7CT1QIVjzaBCh31qgiTEAQYASABEgKf5_D_BwE

No it's not a Honda but weighs almost exactly the same as one or a Generac. Is as quiet, consumes about the same amount of gas as one and has 25% more power and costs half the price.

Just about everyone that buys a small or smaller model gen wishes it was a little bit bigger. Or has to turn things off to do this or that. Well this one is a lot less expensive. No need to turn off the converter to run the micro or A/C with this unit. It will do both all while being portable.

Hey, if you're up to spending $1000-$1500 on a similar unit knock yourself out. It's a generator not a smartphone. It only has one purpose.
SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:07pm
Will your Westinghouse 2500 run the AC?  If yes, I'm buying one tomorrow.  Thanks!
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:25pm
I still love the dg3000 inverter I bought from Scooter wholesale for $479, (all in ,no tax no shipping fee). Runs the A/C except when it's 97 degrees at 9000 ft up in the Sierras. It's real quiet on econ mode when charging the batteries. Iv'e put 20 hours on it in the last year and it starts first or second time every time.
It's cheap and gets the job done

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:36am
How would I disconnect the converter?  I'd like to try running the AC on a 2000w generator.  Thanks!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:22am
Disconnect the battery or turn the Converter CB OFF, that disables the charging circuit, I can run my AC with a 2K.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Mtn Ascender View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SDTrialer

Will your Westinghouse 2500 run the AC?  If yes, I'm buying one tomorrow.  Thanks!

Yes, without turning any breakers off too. The only thing it struggles with is if your run the AC, turn it off, and turn it right back on again. If the gen is set to eco mode it will throw the overload. If the gen is not on eco mode it will still fire up the AC.

If you wait 4-5 mins after turning the AC off before turning it back on again in eco mode the gen will fire it up. The condenser in the AC unit has some affect on this I believe. So when you wait a few mins everything runs just fine. Even with the gen in eco mode.

The only knock I might have on the gen is that it's hard to see the display in bright sunlight. It has an led display that shows remaining fuel and runtime. And maybe some other data but I haven't played with it too much.
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm
I have a 179  17 1/2 and run my a/c on a Honda 2000i. I did however install a Supco SPP6 hard start capacitor and this made all the difference. https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500485408&sr=8-4&keywords=supco+hard+start

I mention the year of my 179 as I was told the newer 13.500 btu Penguin II A/C's are more efficient and require less watts.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by SteveA

I have a 179 17 1/2 and run my a/c on a Honda 2000i. I did however install a Supco SPP6 hard start capacitor and this made all the difference.
https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500485408&sr=8-4&keywords=supco+hard+start

I mention the year of my 179 as I was told the newer 13.500 btu Penguin II A/C's are more efficient and require less watts.

Does this connect directly to the compressor?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>