R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Tank Drain Pipe Dragged on the Ground

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Tank Drain Pipe Dragged on the Ground
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 4:59pm
On 179s there are separate drain pipes for the black and gray water. There is a strap screwed into the frame with two self taping screws. The strap is attached to a clamp which wraps around the drain pipe by one screw using a Nylock nut, at least on the gray water drain pipeOuch. Nothing was attaching the black water drain pipe clamp to the strap on our Pod at his time.

Fortunately the black pipe only dragged on gravel for about 20 feet as we were approaching our campsite at a slow speed. The pipe was still attached to the tank, the pipe just rotated. The termination cap has a little road rash but is fine.

Both the black and gray pipe clamps are now attached to their straps by Stover locking nuts with split ring washers under the screws and nuts.Smile

A few hours and a few hundred miles before the pipe dropped we crossed the International Bridge from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario to Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. It is a two lane bridge with no shoulder. If the pipe had dropped and was ripped off the black tank, emptying it's contents onto the bridge or into the Soo Locks THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AN INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT.Dead

Go check the connections!
John & Sue
2016 179 - built in April 2015
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L 13-16mpg with 179 - 21-28mpg without
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:35pm
Yeah,, this seems to be a common problem.  Happened to us in Mexico.  Check the bolt and the nut that holds the bracket in place.  Better, replace the bracket with heavier meta
l
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:59am
Some people have supplemented the factory bracket with a metal strap around the underside of the pipe and the loose ends attached to the frame.
YODT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:20am
I wish I had read this before going out for the first time!  See my post under "Camping Adventures", "Shakedown Cruise - literally"!
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm
I'm going to check mine now also check the shelf taping screws on the water tanks
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
 Post Reply Post Reply