R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrefrigerator problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: refrigerator problems
    Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 10:11pm
Hi fellow podders. I have a problem mybe someone can help me with. I have a 179 2014 with a  Dometic RM 8501 refrigerator.  The refrig is working great on AC and DC top and bottom but on gas only the top fins in the frig are getting cold and the bottom fins are not working.  The burner and the tower are very clean and I get a good blue flame. Everything is heating up in the back but the frig is warm.  

Ouch Help needed  Thanks 
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 12:31pm
I have been testing my dometic (2018 Rpod 176) for a week now.  I'm trying to simulate traveling (towing) so I leave it outside in the 100 degree heat with no A/C running and have been testing the refer on all three circuits (120 v, 12 v and gas).  To my disbelief, gas is the worst.  Traditionally gas is the best, 120 volt 2nd, and 12 volt a weak 3rd.  We used to tell everyone that 12 volt was just a "maintainer" if your refer was already cold, but I just proved on mine that it actually cools the best, reaching 36 degrees at night (night outside temps in the 70s), 120volt got down to 38 degrees and gas about 43 degrees.  During the day, gas runs about 7 degrees higher than either of the others getting up to 57 degrees.  Tomorrow it goes in the shop to have a tech look at it and see if he can determine why the gas is not out-performing the electric heaters like these Dometics have traditionally done in the past.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:36pm
Very interesting.  Our dometic is (2011 Rpod 177) is going on year 7 and performs very well.  Last year was the first time we ever had an issue, outside temp was over 100 and the refer was not very cold inside.  My brother came over and told me that the muffin fans should be running being this hot, my response was like a deer looking into headlights before impact.  We opened up both outside access panels, found both muffin fans and then relocated the thermal switch that activates the fans.  We moved the switch from near the middle to the top of the coils.  Fans immediately came on and  within about 4 hours the fridge was down to 37 degrees.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by jato

Very interesting.  Our dometic is (2011 Rpod 177) is going on year 7 and performs very well.  Last year was the first time we ever had an issue, outside temp was over 100 and the refer was not very cold inside.  My brother came over and told me that the muffin fans should be running being this hot, my response was like a deer looking into headlights before impact.  We opened up both outside access panels, found both muffin fans and then relocated the thermal switch that activates the fans.  We moved the switch from near the middle to the top of the coils.  Fans immediately came on and  within about 4 hours the fridge was down to 37 degrees.

In 40 years of RVing, I've honestly never seen an absorption refer that will get down to 37 degrees in 100 degree heat.  Of course it helps if you are air conditioning the inside, but the thermocoupler switch should be at the top of the coils, like you put it.  According to a local repair shop, It should take 140 degrees to turn them on.  I just verified this with a non-contact (laser) thermometer.  I'd be so happy if I could get 37 degrees in the middle of the day on my refer.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 7:47pm
+1 to Spydie.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:43pm
Well, to clarify, when the 4 hour time frame was up, it was nearly 9 pm, the outside temp at that time was probably in the upper 70's.  You are totally correct, it the middle of the day I would be fortunate to get it to 40 with the outside temp being that hot.  Beside, we don't have an A/C unit on our 177 and we were boondocking at the time.
God's pod
'11 model 177
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:13am
has anyone ever washed the fins on the fridge. if so how did you do it?
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by osage

has anyone ever washed the fins on the fridge. if so how did you do it?

You're talking about the outside fins?  Never seen any dirty enough actually need washing but if I did I think I would take a wet rag and work it between the individual fins.  I don't think I'd spray it down because that area isn't supposed to be wet.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:20pm
+1 Spydie.  Our 177 is going on year 7 and the back of the fridge still looks quite clean, very little dust.  I suppose the little bit that may settle probably gets blown off as you travel down the roadway.
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:35am
On our recent trip, we experienced a range of temperatures. When we were headed North and the temperatures were in the 90's, then the refrigerator had a hard time of getting and staying cold. Temperatures would only get down to around 40 at night but climb into the 50's during the day. Once we got to New York and Vermont which had lower ambient temperatures, the refrigerator would consistently have temperatures which got down into the mid to lower 30's at night, but still climbed into the lower 40's during the day. On the return trip south into higher ambient temperatures, our refrigerator once again was having trouble getting down below 40.

My practice is to run on gas except when I have AC available. I have had prior experience with the TV not being able to both charge batteries and run the refrigerator. That is why I use propane. I have cleaned the burner and orifice, but it made no difference in the refrigerator's cooling ability. What I have not done is taken it to get a check of the propane pressure to the burner. I should do that soon. I just don't want to haul the R-Pod to our dealer since that is a 2 1/2 hour drive (110 miles) away from where we live.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>