R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Time to Buy - Event Date: 31 Jul 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Best Time to Buy
    Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
Hello to (future) fellow Podders.  I'm in the active market for a Pod (178, 179 or 180) and am wondering if waiting for the fall season is better to buy in terms of price.  Logic suggests that waiting until the camping season is over (northeast U.S.) will afford the best prices, but maybe not.  Maybe the RV industry doesn't work that way.  Part of me wants to think it doesn't , so I can buy now (late July) without remorse and take advantage of another two to three months Pod camping this year.  OTOH, I can wait two, three months if I'm likely to save a couple, few thousand dollars.  OTO-other-H, it may all just come down to the individual deal made regardless of season.  What say you and thanks in advance.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:06am
Good News.  RV buying is not like car buying.  There are no end of year clearance sales in the summer to get rid of the 2017 models and make room for the 2018.  That does not mean  an individual dealer will not have sales.  The only time there are "authorized" sales from the manufacturer are between August and March when there are the large RV shows  (Raleigh NC show is end of August, Tampa is January).  At these shows there is dealer pricing marked on all RVs and these are usually the best prices.  I have never seen these prices lowered except if there is a single dealer who for whatever reason has to sell at cost or even below but this is extremely rare and I do not know of anyone who bought at that price so cannot say if it is real.  That being said if you want one now go to a wholesaler (such as Couch's nation).  Their prices are LOWER than the RV shows. They currently are selling 180/179 for 14,9/15.1. I would then try to bargain your way with your local dealer to get close to that price as possible.  Our dealer was $500 over Couch but he was 100 miles away.  Our "local" dealer was thousands over and would not budge.  Keep in mind most local dealers will not perform warranty work if you bought the RPOD somewhere else.  Forest River has big brochures that says BUY LOCAL with 11 bullet points why you should buy local.  Good luck
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:09am
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 2:33pm
Thanks, Richard!  Big help!  And Leo for responding and ditto-ing!  I'm about equidistant from two dealers (Long View in CT and Dufour's in MA), each about an hour to get there. Not great things being said about Long View on this forum but they have twice the stock.  Dufours gets a lot of love from forum Podders but not as much to see.  I'll visit Long View first to get a sense of what model works best for me, given their stock and Dufours to hear where they land on price. 

Knowing I'm stuck with one or the other for warranty work means I should have a look-see and questions re their service departments.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm
Each RV dealership has a "captive audience". There are usually no other dealers of the same models nearby. So they don't move much on price, because travel trailers are not a necessity, they're a luxury. But if a trailer has not moved in a while, they definitely will want to deal.

That being said, when I bought my 177, I drove over 700 miles to pick it up at Couches,. Unfortunately I did run into a needed warranty repair right away, and the local dealer (who would not budge on price) refused service. OK then. Couchs sent me to Long View RV, who at the time did not sell Pods, but other Forest River models. It took Long View TWO attempts and over a week of waiting to get the problem solved (water heater element gasket...). That was just poor diagnosis. 

Ultimately, my Pod was trouble free for the remaining years I owned it. All very minor stuff I solved myself. Easy to do water sanitization and winterization. 

I don't know if there is a best time of year, but travel trailers are always discounted well below MSRP. No one should pay near MSRP. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:29pm
By coincidence Longview was one of the dealers we contacted both by phone and email.  When I mentioned Couch's price I never heard from them with a quote.  If you decide to buy local and agree to pay more I would still recommend waiting them out for a better deal.  I know that Longview still had Green models left when the Blue ones hit the market so they did come down on the advertised price on RV Trader. Stoltzfus in Adamstown PA may be a four hour drive for you and that is where we bought from.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 4Papa

Thanks, Richard!  Big help!  And Leo for responding and ditto-ing!  I'm about equidistant from two dealers (Long View in CT and Dufour's in MA), each about an hour to get there. Not great things being said about Long View on this forum but they have twice the stock.  Dufours gets a lot of love from forum Podders but not as much to see.  I'll visit Long View first to get a sense of what model works best for me, given their stock and Dufours to hear where they land on price. 

Knowing I'm stuck with one or the other for warranty work means I should have a look-see and questions re their service departments.

I've looked at pods on both lots. Longview rubbed me the wrong way, I wont say anything cause i dont have much nice to say. I looked at couch, as rich recommended, and added the shipping cost. I then went to dufours. I think they were 2 or 3 hundred higher than couchs shipped price. Since i dont want to drive a full day to get service, i thought 2 - 3 hundred was a reasonable rate. I would try waiting till the R.V. show in boston, usually in january, that 2 - 3 hundred might go away.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
Long View came in at $17K for a 180.  They do boast a Lifetime Warranty on major parts and the dealer is a member in something called "Priority RV Network".  A bit surprising is the premium they're asking for the 180 given the large stock on hand (and presumably, volume) that they do.  I'll visit Dufours and see what they come up with.

If I'm still looking through fall, I might wait until January to see what's what in the Boston show.
crooked pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:43pm
Well we also looked at longview in ct and a dealer in Port Jervis Ny. And as you said they won't budge on there price.Then we checked out Pete"s Rv in Burlington Vt and Bingo saved thousands it was well worth the 5 hour drive.Thumbs Up
We love our R-pod 178
4Papa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:07pm
Richard Cindy:
Would you know if the prices quoted for the 179/180 ($5.1K/$14.9K) at Couch's are for fully optioned out units?  I'm trying to compare apples to apples (including factoring in distance).  Also, are most Pods shipped to dealers with full options?  I've seen nothing so far with just standard features.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>