R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedManual Slide-out?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual Slide-out?
    Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 6:51pm
My new Model 178 only has one 12-volt deep cycle battery, but it has been drained and re-charged 3 or 4 times now, I left the radio on once, other times still a mystery. And when plugged into my truck after driving a couple hours, won't take a charge. So I arrived at my campsite Friday with not enough power to use the slide out. I plugged in my new Zank Solar Panels in bright sun, found the manual, which says, "some models don't have a manual crank handle for the slide-out." if it's there look at the transmission housing. OK, where is that? After just about an hour, the sun made it work!. Same thing happened when I had to close it back up. So, mine is a 2017 model, should I call my dealer?
Capperdan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 7:22pm
Zamp Solar System, sorry. Great product.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 10:37pm
A lot of tow vehicles won't pump enough current through the Bargman to do much in the way of charging the Pod battery.  It'll keep it topped up, maybe, but it may not keep up with the drain of some 12v draws, most notably the refrigerator.  In your case, what would have worked would have been to park the Pod, turn your truck around and run some jumper cables from your truck to the Pod battery.  The slide out would have worked pretty much instantly, and you might get a decent charge on your battery in an hour or so.  Longer term, figure out what's pulling the battery down and turn it off whenever possible!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:23am
We need more information to diagnose.  How long was the POD stored without being hooked up to shore before in between trips?  Do run the refrigerator on 12V?  If yes, thats probably the reason.  Do not run on 12v unless you have two batteries and solar hookup to keep them charged.  Anything else turned on.  If storing for a couple weeks its best to disconnect battery as there always a slow drain (eg CO detector).  Since the slide out worked it after charging battery it is not the problem but there is no manual operation, no power no slide out.  See if you can use shore power once in a while to charge batteries when storing
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Richand Cindy

there is no manual operation, no power no slide out.

RPods have two types of slideout mechanisms that I that I know of.  Both do have provisions for manual operation.  The one on mine involves lying on the floor and cranking a wrench at floor level under the stove that probably moves the slide a quarter inch per turn.  I've never done it, don't want to ever have to, but it is possible.  It's the kind of thing you'd do if the motor blows and you need to close the slide for the drive home, not what you do to save battery power for boondocking by any means.

Tlhe other RPod slide mechanism works very differently.  I've seen it described here, but don't recall how it works.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 10:03am
In the manual section under slide outs there are posts about finding the instructional manual and also about the control box.  But on the newer slide outs there is no mechanism for manual operation.  If you have electricity you can try to reset the box to get a non functioning slide to work.  But if that does not work you have to remove a couple of screws on each side and that allows you to push the slide in or out.  If the slide is stuck out my dealer said just have two people on each side just push it in.  It will not break it just be careful to push it evenly so it stays on track

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 10:03am

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 10:56am
"Mechanism" was a bad choice of words. There is a means by which any slide-out can be moved in or out. For both types of slides it's a last choice.

I'd rather remove a couple of screws and push than do the crank thing.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Capperdan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:34pm
OK Thank you both. Good info.
 Post Reply Post Reply